Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight Loss and Constipation

+5
Artistwolf
Peachy
MouseLover
scaredymouse
CinnamonPearl
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weight Loss and Constipation Empty Weight Loss and Constipation

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 29 Apr 2016, 3:12 pm

Something's going on with Lilith. I don't know if it's related to Mabel's weight loss situation, but it's not that far-fetched. Lilith has been losing weight for about a week now. Her normal is between 28-30g, but she dropped down to 22g. I decided to wait and see since I've had girls drop a little bit before, but it happens much more often with the bigger girls than the teeny ones. But now I'm worried. I weighed her today, and she's down to 19g. Not only is she far below her normal average, but I feel that she's also dangerously light for mice in general.

There are other things too. Her fur has been thinning very badly, and now it looks greasy. I figured it was a bedding allergy and switched her over to shredded newspaper, but two weeks later and it's just as bad as before, if not more. Her fur has become a very dingy, brownish color on her belly, though I'm not sure how closely it's related. And she was constipated today as well. I was feeding her some baby food (which she unfortunately didn't take to very well) and found lots of poops stuck around her rear. I was able to pull them out. They're the normal consistency but a very strange, light yellow color that I feel is related.

Anyway, I have a vet appointment for both her and Mabel on Monday, but I'm afraid it won't be soon enough. She's acting normal, if a bit more tired than her usual peppy self, but she was jumping up and down yesterday trying to get on top of my computer. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, throwing this in the emergency section and all, but..... I just can't help but feel this awful foreboding. Does anyone have any advice or anything on this? Anyone?
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Weight Loss and Constipation Empty Re: Weight Loss and Constipation

Post by scaredymouse Fri 29 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

I'm so sorry you've go so much going on right now. You must be worried sick. How old are all these ladies? Lilliths symptoms don't sound good. The fact that she needs you to help clean her bottom up, means she really isn't feeling good. I could be far off... but those symptoms sound like liver problems to me, weight loss, hair loss, pale colored stool. And 19g is pretty low, especially if she was up near 30g.

How does she act inside the tank with her sisters? Is it the same as when you have her out with you? I've noticed that sometimes our beloved pets will sometimes put on a brave face for us. They may feel crummy but when we get them out, they try not to act sick.

I'm glad you have a vet appt, is this your regular vet that was on vacation?
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:01 pm

It's certainly not a good feeling. She's acting okay, so I'm hopeful, but you know how these things can turn out.

I suppose it could be a liver problem. I just don't understand why it's happening so early in her life. As for ages, Lilith is six months, Mabel and Rosie are both 18 months tomorrow, Little Cow is 16 months, and Egg is 10 months. Note that Lilith and Egg's ages are just NM's estimations, but they should be pretty accurate. (I do sometimes wonder if Egg is older, as she acts quite maturely for her age.)

In the tank, she seems to be acting normally. All my girls have been very relaxed lately, but I think it's just because they're enjoying that heat pad. Lilith, as far as I've seen, has been acting pretty normal. She had a little spat with Cow last night, she's eating and drinking, and she's just as eager to come out and play as always. But I'm gonna start paying much closer attention to her.

Yup, same vet as always, the one who was on vacation. Perfect week for her to leave, huh? Do you think if it is liver problems, the vet will be able to see it, let alone do anything to help? The description sounds pretty... severe.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:22 pm

It's so hard to even speculate about these kinds of things. But your vet should be able to determine whether or not there may be something going on with her liver. As far as treatment goes, it would depend on what is causing it.

Let us know how it goes. We'll all be thinking good thoughts for Lilith and Mabel.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 30 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

Gosh, you're having such a rough time with your mice lately Sad My thoughts are with you and your meeces. Good luck at the vet, hope Lilith's back to her usual self soon.
MouseLover
MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 01 May 2016, 1:15 pm

She just keeps looking worse and worse. She's lost almost all the fur on her belly, and she's losing a lot on her face too. Her weight is still hovering around 19g, I don't know what I'll do if it drops again. Mabel's looking better, but she just keeps looking worse and worse. Luckily we haven't had any more constipation incidents, and she's still eating. I gave the girls bread with olive oil yesterday, which they really liked. I'm just eager to get her into the vet. I'm so annoyed that she went on vacation this week of all weeks.

Apparently the vet office called my house to leave a reminder about the appointment. My mom picked up, and she was asking me who it was for and why. I... ended up lying and told her it was just a routine check for Mabel's eye. I should feel bad, but I guess right now I'd just rather focus on my girls in peace. I don't want other people to know and make things worse by worrying and badgering me about it, I guess. I know everyone always says to always rely on other people and if you don't think so it's just because you haven't "learned the lesson" yet or whatever, but I think the people who say that just don't know how to handle things on their own two feet. I've always just been good at handling things myself.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 01 May 2016, 1:42 pm

This is sad news, poor Lilith. I can relate to wanting to handle it in peace, though I don't think there's anything wrong with people who appreciate support. I hope your appointment goes well. Sad
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 01 May 2016, 1:46 pm

abeona wrote:I can relate to wanting to handle it in peace, though I don't think there's anything wrong with people who appreciate support.

Oh no, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that. Support from others is a wonderful thing. I was referring more specifically to people who think that support from others is the only way to do it.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 03 May 2016, 3:22 pm

Alright, so we finally got to the vet! The vet wasn't really sure, but she thinks it's something parasitic, either inside or out. She thought it could be something in their intestines or perhaps even mites. I think the mites are doubtful, especially since Mabel was already treated for them (and Lilith halfway), but I agree that it could be something internal. She tried doing a fecal test, but there wasn't enough in their travel cage to actually get any results. Right now I'm just waiting for her phone call. She called Cornell to consult with them and is supposed to call me today to discuss a plan. Nothing yet, but I'm still waiting.

The girls were good at the vet too. Mabel was her usual angry little self, and the doctor was absolutely in love with her. Lilith was... strangely calm. She didn't even struggle when the vet checked their breathing and such. It was worrying for both of us. I miss my jumpy, hyperactive little Spider Queen who used to ricochet off the walls. Now Lilith is so tired all the time, but hopefully once we get this sorted out she'll be back to her old self. But the vet was really good and gentle with her. Honestly, she's such a nice person... I couldn't even bring myself to complain like I was going to. It's just hard to get grouchy when the vet you're working with clearly cares so much!

Also, everyone at the vet office really loves my girls. ^.^ There's this one receptionist who was so excited to see them again. And while I was in the waiting room, I let them come out of the travel cage and hang out in my sweatshirt for naptime, and the vet thought it was so cute how they were both sleeping. So it was a pretty good visit. I'm just eager to get that phone call.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Tue 03 May 2016, 3:52 pm

I hope it all goes well! Sounds like you have a great vet... That often seems pretty rare with mice.
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 03 May 2016, 6:54 pm

Hope the treatment goes well. That's so cute that your girls sleep on you Love
MouseLover
MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 03 May 2016, 7:00 pm

Oh, they do if they get sleepy enough. Especially Rosie. I let her play on the bed while I watch youtube before going to sleep, and she'll immediately curl up in the crook of my neck or get comfy by my face and rest her head under my nose and just go to sleep. It's adorable. ^.^
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 03 May 2016, 8:04 pm

Lilith has just passed away.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Tue 03 May 2016, 8:12 pm

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! That was so sudden. You did all you could for her. She was your newest little girl... I just can't quite believe it. She was so loved. And beautiful. I'm sorry, I'm rambling now.
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 03 May 2016, 8:14 pm

I'm so sorry, Cinnamon. Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down