Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very scared mouse-help!

5 posters

Go down

Very scared mouse-help! Empty Very scared mouse-help!

Post by chowie12 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 9:02 pm

I have had my first pet mouse for about a month and a half. I have been trying to tame him and get him comfortable with my presence and my hand by placing a treat on my hand and trying to lure him onto it however, he ends up kicking up bedding to cover up my hand and then nipping my finger tips from under the bedding coverage haha. He runs away from my hand when I reach in to clean or give him food, and just overall seems terrified. Occasionally he will sniff my hand then retreat his head back to get away from it.

Any tips on how to get him more comfortable? Thank you in advance!

chowie12

Back to top Go down

Very scared mouse-help! Empty Re: Very scared mouse-help!

Post by Peachy Sun 27 Nov 2016, 9:45 pm

Welcome! Mouse Wave

This page has some info on handling and taming. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t8-behavior-handling-and-taming

One of the suggestions is to remove the mouse from its home for taming sessions. After he's comfortable with you out of his home, he'll likely become more comfortable with you in his home also. If you can't pick up your mouse, you could try to get him to walk into a box or toilet paper tube so you can safely move him to the play area. I hope he'll warm up to you soon!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 27 Nov 2016, 11:10 pm

Welcome to the group! Try to suggestions in the link Peachy posted and let us know how it goes. Some mice are just nervous when you approach them in their cage. Being prey animals, it's just instinctual. They usually warm up pretty well when you get them out of their comfort zone.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 28 Nov 2016, 3:54 pm

Ditto what others have said: by taking him out and placing him in a neutral area such as a bin playpen or sitting with you in a towel-covered bathtub where he can run around and examine you on his terms, it'll be easier to gain his trust. From your mouse's view, your hand is an invader in his territory and must be forced to leave, either by covering it up or nipping at it.
MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 28 Nov 2016, 5:55 pm

I would like to add that all mice are different- my Millie hated being out of her home and was very uncomfortable anywhere unfamiliar. In that case, having taming sessions in that tank was a much better option because my hand was just one new, unfamiliar thing, while she was comfortable with all her usual stuff inside the tank. However for all my other mice (and probably for yours) they were more curious and comfortable with people away from their own territory, so they preferred out of tank taming sessions. I just wanted to add that it varies from mouse to mouse, but in your situation whet the others have suggested will most likely work best for you.
EverythingAnimal
EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum