Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores

4 posters

Go down

Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores Empty Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores

Post by USFancy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:49 am

So I've been reading up more on mouse nutrition and notice that some brand name mouse food that is sold at pet stores may not be the best choice. I have been feeding my mice Higgins: Vita Garden that i have been buying from the pet stores since the day I got the mice. I notice that this may not be a well balanced diet since it is mainly seeds and sunflower seeds, I guess sunflower seeds should be given in moderation. Anyways if i should avoid purchasing food sold in stores and if it is not recommended to make home food recipes what is a healthier way to provide a well balanced diet for my mice?

Also, this is random but is beans (Black, broen, pinto, ect) okay to feed mice? If anyone could add to this list [https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t2-safe-foods] of good foods and foods to avoid it well be very helpful for trying to figure these foods out....especially the ones to avoid.

Thanks for the help as always..I'm still a beginner lol
USFancy
USFancy

Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores Empty Re: Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores

Post by maygins Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:08 am

Really, most pet store foods are unhealthy and not the best choice. Maybe look online? My mice always snag the sunflower seeds and leave other things, I guess I should pick those out and only offer time to time. Lots of people consider home recipes because they can be a healthy choice! I'm not sure about beans, ask a more experienced owner.
maygins
maygins
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Drama Queen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrkVYG7q94N_NHZv02zAvw?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores Empty Re: Food Suggestions & Concern about Pet Stores

Post by Peachy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:31 am

Have you read this page? https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-diet-and-nutrition

Under the first heading, there are two links to a couple commonly recommended good foods that you can find at Petco or PetSmart.
We don't often recommend making your own mix from scratch because it requires A LOT of knowledge and research to make sure it's adequate for mice.

As for beans, I know they're toxic to mice if they're raw or undercooked. I'd just stay away from them completely.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by USFancy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:14 am

Okay, I did read but skimmed it and failed to see those two links. As for the Sunseed brand, that is a mix for Parakeets...I have an account with Petco and it shows Sunseed has an actual mix for Rat, Mice and Gerbil. Should i just go with that one instead? I would think so right?

And thanks on the beans, better safe than sorry.

I am going to start throwing in home foods in the mix because I am spending time researching and we all know it's healthier for them then a commercial brand throw mix from a company that just used the cheapest products to get you money. For instance, I just threw in a few pieces of shaved apple, Cheerios and chopped spinach. I'm headed to the store now to get some more food because I'm out and was thinking of buying the Kittin Milk KMR stuff to give to them once in a while too. I have a sick mouse right now so I think that will help with her as well.
USFancy
USFancy

Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 28 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Nope! The mouse/rat one isn't good. The parakeet one is perfect for mice because the nutritional analysis is better, as are the ingredients, I believe.
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum