Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescued a Sick Mouse

+3
Peachy
essentiallysue
Sassafras
7 posters

Go down

Rescued a Sick Mouse Empty Rescued a Sick Mouse

Post by Sassafras Sat 03 Dec 2016, 7:38 pm

Today a woman I know at work brought in a mouse because she knows I love animals. I had told a friend I wanted to get some pet mice so when this woman found out, she took it upon herself to bring me a sick one she didn't want to feed to her snake. The mouse is missing some fur, has some scabs, and has a badly damaged ear. I took the mouse just to try and save her but I feel like she might die. She walks around and seems perky at times, but other times she just sort of breathes hard and stays in one spot. I put her in a new, clean enclosure with a house to hide in, mouse food since I didn't think she was supposed to be eating corn and sunflowers seeds? (I got the food that actually has a mouse on it, it's large chunks). I put a little bit of organic coconut oil on her ear, since it works for my dog and I read people use it on rodents too. I really hope she lives... Worry She was in this Critter Trail cage that was so disgusting the smell took over my whole office for the day. No animal should have to live like that, so I'm glad the woman brought her.
Sassafras
Sassafras

Sagittarius Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Rescued a Sick Mouse Empty Re: Rescued a Sick Mouse

Post by essentiallysue Sat 03 Dec 2016, 7:51 pm

Bless you! I hope she lives, but at least her life will be better now.
I was at the pet show to buy some white mice to replace my mouse who passed away. A couple came in and the saleslady waited on them before me. They took most of the baby white mice for their snake. I felt awful because I was there to get pets. The sales person had no concept of how I must feel because I love mice and hated knowing what was in store for the little mice.
I should think they could keep the mice they sell for that purpose in the back of the store and not do it in front of one who loves them as pets.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 03 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

Welcome! Thank you for taking her in! Smile

Have you considered taking her to the vet to get checked out for any sort of infections? The breathing could be a respiratory infection, or she might be in pain. A vet could probably help her improve a lot!

Here's a thread regarding diet and nutrition... It mentions a couple commonly recommended store bought foods, good treats, and has some info about ingredients and such.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-mouse-diet

You might also want to look into treating her for parasites, one of the common causes for hair loss. Here's a thread with more information about that.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon. Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 03 Dec 2016, 9:04 pm

Welcome! I would take that poor little mouse to the vet. It's good of you to rescue her!
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassafras Sun 04 Dec 2016, 8:45 am

Thank you for the responses everyone!! By the time I could leave work last night, the vets were closed, but I went in this morning. She has mites and a respiratory infection, so now those issues are being treated. Today she has been up nibbling on food and drinking water so that's a good sign! I will get one of those recommended foods. Parakeet food, I never would have thought of that!! Shocked

Oh, and yes I hate it when you have to see the mice being purchased for a snake. It really breaks my heart!!
Sassafras
Sassafras

Sagittarius Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 04 Dec 2016, 2:59 pm

First of all, thank you for giving this poor little girl a chance at a real life. Secondly, thank you for taking her to a vet quickly and getting treatment for her ailments. With good food, medication, a warm snuggly home and loving attention, she should rebound and be a wonderful pet. Keep us posted as to how she's doing and what you've decided to name her. Pictures are always welcome Very Happy !
MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 04 Dec 2016, 3:16 pm

Welcome!  Sounds like this is one lucky mouse to find her way to you. Great job on getting her prompt veterinary care.  Please keep us updated on her recovery.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassafras Sun 04 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

She is doing much better today! Very Happy She is much more perky and has even been digging, grooming etc. I've named her Tilly.

I took a few pictures. The first one kind of shows some of the hair loss, the second one shows the ear, and the last one is just cute!
Rescued a Sick Mouse XM695MZ
Rescued a Sick Mouse UzUxz7m
Rescued a Sick Mouse DeNH9Nb
Sassafras
Sassafras

Sagittarius Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 05 Dec 2016, 5:58 am

She looks rough, but the mites treatment should help! We're rooting for you Tilly! Very Happy
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 05 Dec 2016, 6:54 am

Awww, she looks like a sweetheart. Love

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 05 Dec 2016, 9:38 am

She looks rough but not as bad as I'd pictured. Under all that, she's a very pretty mouse and Tilly is terrific mouse name! Now that she has treatment and a caring home, I'm sure she'll rally in no time.
MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassafras Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:21 am

It's very encouraging you don't think she looks as bad as you thought! Her fur has fluffed out a lot since getting out of that disgusting cage. She is even more energetic today. Still seems to be breathing hard at times, but I hope that will clear up in time. Dance6
Sassafras
Sassafras

Sagittarius Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:20 pm

She is very cute!! I hope she heals up soon!
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down