Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kaby Lake or Ryzen

2 posters

Go down

Kaby Lake or Ryzen Empty Kaby Lake or Ryzen

Post by AnonONIagent Wed 04 Jan 2017, 4:50 pm

Not sure if there's anyone tech savvy enough here to know what I'm talking about, but in case there is, here goes:

So I've been looking to upgrade my CPU and motherboard platform for a while now. I'm currently running an AMD FX-6300 hexcore processor overclocked to 4.3 GHz. Paired with my Nvidia GTX 970, it runs almost all games perfectly well at 1080p 60FPS at ultra presets. However, the GTX 970 is pretty much the ceiling of what the FX-6300 can handle without bottlenecking, so if I ever want to upgrade my GPU in the future, my CPU will have to be upgraded first. Plus there's the fact that the AM3+ platform is already woefully outdated, as it only has support for PCIe gen2 and DDR3 memory, and lacks any kind of support for USB 3.1, NVMe, or M.2. So I'm looking at upgrading either to Intel's Kaby Lake line of processors releasing later this month (specifically the Core i7-7700K), or AMD's new Ryzen CPUs launching sometime here in Q1 2017. But I can't decide whether to jump on Kaby Lake right away when it launches, or wait and see what Ryzen has to offer.

Let's start with Kaby Lake. Kaby Lake is Intel's 7th generation CPU lineup, and is an optimization of the previous Skylake architecture. Kaby Lake performs essentially the same as Skylake clock-for-clock, but it runs at a higher base frequency out of the box with the same TDP, and supposedly it also overclocks better, which matters to me since I'm looking to get an unlocked chip and will be planning to overclock. The chip I'm looking at is their top-end Core i7-7700K, an unlocked quad-core with hyperthreading with a base frequency of 4.2 GHz and a boost clock of 4.5 GHz, and costs about $350. How far I'll overclock it will ultimately depend on how well I do in the silicon lottery, but I'm aiming for either a stable 4.6 GHz or 4.7 GHz. Kaby Lake chips will be launching alongside the new Z270 chipset motherboards, which are largely functionally identical to the previous Z170 platform, with the exception of support for front-panel USB 3.1 Gen2 and support for Intel's upcoming Optane storage technology, which to my understanding allows an M.2 SSD to function as an additional volatile storage method placed between the CPU cache and the system memory.

Then there's AMD Ryzen. Ryzen's release is supposed to be Q1 2017 but a more specific time frame has yet to be announced, and on the whole details are much more scarce than they are for Kaby Lake. Ryzen is AMD's first major CPU release since 2013, and is aiming to compete with Intel at all levels except most likely the super-duper high-end enthusiast level. Ryzen has a renewed focus on single-core performance, but still aims to provide a greater number of physical cores than comparably-priced Intel chips. Ryzen will also support Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), which is basically the same thing as hyperthreading. Pricing for Ryzen has yet to be officially stated, but rumors seem to place their top-end 8-core chip(s) somewhere in the $300 to $500 range. Ryzen will be running on the AM4 platform, and will feature support for all the latest features, such as PCIe Gen3, DDR4 memory, NVMe, USB 3.1 Gen2, and SATA Express. This, however, does not include proprietary Intel features like Thunderbolt 3 or Optane.

So, any thoughts? Should I jump right onboard with Kaby Lake, or be patient and see if Ryzen can offer something even better?
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Kaby Lake or Ryzen Empty Re: Kaby Lake or Ryzen

Post by scaredymouse Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:14 am

I would totally go with the tried and true, 7th gen Intel CPU for several reasons. I don't like waiting and patience isn't one of my virtues. Intel knocks those things out like clockwork, I feel like it would be more reliable. The other CPU sounds more ambitious, which could be awesome...but it could also be a disappointment.

I'd rather just get the one that will meet my expectations and that I don't have to wait for. The only thing worse that being disappointed with something is having to "wait" too be disappointed Wink
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Sat 07 Jan 2017, 3:47 pm

I jumped and bought the i5-7600K earlier today. It's similar to the i7-7700K in that it is an unlocked quad-core, but it lacks hyperthreading and has a somewhat lower clockspeed, and is about $100 cheaper. The reason I got this instead of the i7 is that I decided I didn't need all the bells and whistles the i7 offers. An i5 is plenty for gaming, which is 90% of what I use my rig for; the i7 is more intended for content creation, which I used to do quite a bit of, but don't really do much of any longer. That extra money would be better spent elsewhere, such as in a fancier motherboard, a new case, or more IT certifications.
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 08 Jan 2017, 12:14 am

That sounds like a way better deal since you are primarily using it for gaming!
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum