Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't use Cheerios

+7
MesaMouse
Drago
scaredymouse
CallaLily
EverythingAnimal
CinnamonPearl
Musculus
11 posters

Go down

Don't use Cheerios Empty Don't use Cheerios

Post by Musculus Fri 13 Jan 2017, 4:53 am

Happy New Year!
I haven't posted in a while because all of my girls have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I'm taking a break (financial reasons).

Please pass this information on. I've only just heard about it last night through a friend. I did do some superficial research and came up with the following information:

For those who have mice, hamsters, or rats as pets, you may or may not know this but Monsanto's weed killing pesticide, Roundup (or glyphosate), has been found in popular foods according to independent lab testing funded by Food Democracy Now! The one food item of concern for rodent lovers is "Cheerios"! This cereal had glyphosate residue at 1125.3 parts per billion.

Monsanto's Roundup can cause "kidney and liver damage" in rats at only 0.05 ppb. So, please be careful and try to purchase organic or safe alternatives to Cheerios such as Whole Foods 365 brand version of Cheerios.

Thanks!
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Don't use Cheerios Empty Re: Don't use Cheerios

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 13 Jan 2017, 5:47 am

Welcome back, Mus! Good to see you. Thanks so much for the warning. I'll just have to find better treats!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:19 am

Oh dear, hopefully they'll stop using the pesticide soon. I don't know how long my girls can last! Razz

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 13 Jan 2017, 7:00 am

Thanks for the info and welcome back!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

thanks for the info... organic O's it is then! i already stopped using regular rice krispies and found some healthier brown rice krispies that the girls like just the same Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Drago Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:28 pm

Thank you for sharing! My hamsters are definitely going to be experiencing some withdrawal, oh well, all oraganic treats it is!

Drago

Back to top Go down

Post by Musculus Mon 23 Jan 2017, 5:04 am

EverythingAnimal wrote:Oh dear, hopefully they'll stop using the pesticide soon. I don't know how long my girls can last! Razz

I'm sure not anytime soon. This is a big money maker for Monsanto. They like to play rough in the courts.

I would go to your local Whole Foods and find an organic alternative.
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 23 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

Thanks for the info, Musculus! I'll pick up some organic Os at Sprouts this week. I've been trying out different treats for my hamster Imogene so she'll probably not notice that they are no Cheerios for a few days.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy Sun 12 Feb 2017, 9:47 am

No cheerios, oh no! My guys absolutely love their cheerios! I give them several different types of treats, and the cheerios are the only one they will scarf down and beg for more, without fail, every time. Thanks for the info!!!

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeW Sun 19 Mar 2017, 7:23 pm

Monsanto does it again! Thank goodness the organic market has grown, I'm thinking humans might want to avoid them now too. Thanks for the heads up
AngeW
AngeW

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 3:02 pm

Wow, very good to know, as Mickey loves, loves, loves his Cheerios!
I will go after work today and get an organic alternative for sure!
He looks forward to Cheerio's every evening.
Thanks again Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

I went tonight, after work, and got Barbara's Organic Honest O's for Mickey to replace his Cheerios. So I will see tonight if he likes them. I hope so, because I'm not going to give him Cheerios anymore.

Mickey seems to like the Honest O's, so that is good news!
I will still call them Cheerios to Mickey, since Mickey is used to hearing that word. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 23 Nov 2017, 3:14 am

Sorry to bump up an older topic, but I wanted to add something. While Cheerios do have an extremely high amount of pesticides, unfortunately they aren't the only food that Monsanto pumps pesticides into. There are many, many foods out there that are made with crops that are grown with pesticides, and even genetically modified, and these types of crops have shown to cause kidney failure, cancer, and more. So if you really want to be safe, try to get as much certified organic as you can for the mice. I hate to say it, but it isn't easy to avoid this stuff. Even our fruits and veggies we give them can be contaminated with pesticides if they don't say they were organically grown.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 23 Nov 2017, 8:42 am

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Sorry to bump up an older topic, but I wanted to add something. While Cheerios do have an extremely high amount of pesticides, unfortunately they aren't the only food that Monsanto pumps pesticides into. There are many, many foods out there that are made with crops that are grown with pesticides, and even genetically modified, and these types of crops have shown to cause kidney failure, cancer, and more. So if you really want to be safe, try to get as much certified organic as you can for the mice. I hate to say it, but it isn't easy to avoid this stuff. Even our fruits and veggies we give them can be contaminated with pesticides if they don't say they were organically grown.

Oh, I totally agree with you AnonymousMouseOwner. Good advice Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum