Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The survivors of the original 19 babies

+4
Peachy
scaredymouse
CinnamonPearl
Soren
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The survivors of the original 19 babies Empty The survivors of the original 19 babies

Post by Soren Wed 04 May 2016, 2:25 pm

Several weeks ago I bought two yellow sister's from a pet shop, one of which was pregant. The pregger mouse gave birth a week or so ago to 19 babies! I made the difficult choice to cull down to 11 babies knowing that young little Daisy (who was really to young to be a mom) may not be able to handle so many. She has a nanny name Oreo (not the sister, but an older wiser female). The remaining pups are doing well. Here's a picture! Do you think the striped ones will be brindle?

The first pic is all of them
The second is the females
The third are the males
And the last two I can't really tell if they're male or female.

The survivors of the original 19 babies 20160510
The survivors of the original 19 babies 20160511
The survivors of the original 19 babies 20160513
The survivors of the original 19 babies 20160512
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

The survivors of the original 19 babies Empty Re: The survivors of the original 19 babies

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 04 May 2016, 2:45 pm

It must've been a tough decision to make, but the remaining eleven kids all look beautiful. Do you wanna post some pictures of the two you're having trouble identifying? Perhaps we could help out.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

The survivors of the original 19 babies Empty Re: The survivors of the original 19 babies

Post by scaredymouse Wed 04 May 2016, 2:51 pm

You did the right thing culling some but no doubt that was a difficult thing to do. I can't even believe nature would let a momma give birth to 19 babies! The kiddos you have left look great. I see at least two that look like they could be brindle. They all look super cute, though. Beautiful colors and markings Love

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 04 May 2016, 3:01 pm

Your babies look so wonderful! The yellow girlies... In Love
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 04 May 2016, 4:42 pm

I don't envy you, having to cull. But no doubt the mother and her babies will have benefited greatly from your kind but difficult decision.

What lovely, healthy looking pups! Love

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 04 May 2016, 10:11 pm

CinnamonPearl,
I was able to sex them again this evening. They have belly fur now, so I am able to see teats. Here are pictures of the updated sexes. 6 females , 3 males. I'll check again tomorrow to see if that number changes, if it does, I have a problem.
The survivors of the original 19 babies 20160514
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Wed 04 May 2016, 10:14 pm

Gorgeous!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 04 May 2016, 11:00 pm

After making this post, I realized something was terribly terribly wrong. Didn't I have 11 babies? I ran back to the nest to do a head count. 9! Yesterday I had 11! I thought mothers hardly ever culled after a week! These babes are 10 days old! Digging around the bedding, I found the remains of a partially cannibalize corpse. The other one left no traces. They have plenty of food and water. Why would the mom (or maybe the Nanny is the culprit?) Cull two 10-day-old pups? I don't understand,  I thought they were safe from culling by now. Are the rest in danger?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Soren on Wed 04 May 2016, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 04 May 2016, 11:06 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry that's happened. I know some say that mothers will cull babies that she knows are unhealthy... maybe there was something wrong with those two/three?

Sorry, edit: Maybe you should take out the nanny just to make sure it's not her?
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 04 May 2016, 11:49 pm

I edited and put two instead of three. I was so upset I couldn't do math, lol. I'm suspicious of Oreo because she spends more time in the nest than Mom. Think it would upset mom if I removed Oreo from the cage? I wouldn't want mom to be upset/stressed and more babies get culled.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 05 May 2016, 12:01 am

I wish I had something useful to add... All I say is that it is very rare for a mom to cull this far along. I would be more suspect of the nanny at this point. I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time with this litter.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 05 May 2016, 12:17 am

I've double checked on TFM to make sure I wasn't wrong. lol I would go ahead and remove the nanny.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouseketeers Thu 05 May 2016, 1:01 am

I'm at work so I'm just going to throw a quick reply together. In my mind it is more likely that the two died and were eaten / partially nibbled after.
It is possible for a pinkie to survive and seemingly thrive for even the first few weeks even if they are unwell or deformed.
it is very common for nannies to spend more time with the babies than mum so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Now this is just an opinion so don't take it as gospel. But by ten days if the mum or nanny is doing any culling. They are usually doing it for a good reason.
Mouseketeers
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 05 May 2016, 8:32 am

I agree with Mouseketeers, I think there's a strong possibility that the two babies died naturally. I have read that mouse mothers will try and get rid of (i.e. eat) any dead babies, because if they didn't, the smell of dead flesh (gross, sorry) could attract predators.

Really sorry to hear about this Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Thu 05 May 2016, 9:15 am

When I went to remove the nanny, I peered into the nest. I saw Nanny cleaning the babies and keeping them warm, while mom was busy eating. I watched them for awhile. Oreo then went over to Mom and started grooming her, and Daisy (the mom), was really enjoying it. I decided then to leave her in, the beautiful companionship and teamwork gave me the benefit of the doubt. She didn't seems like she was hurting the babies.

Could Oreo really be the one culling 10-day-old babies ? When she was just very gently cleaning them all? Watching Oreo being so tender with them made me want to get proof before removing Oreo.

Right now, i'm hoping it was just mother nature. I'm going to check the nest again tonight to take attendance. But if sketchy things happen again, I will take action.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum