Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PetSmart or Petco?

4 posters

Go down

PetSmart or Petco? Empty PetSmart or Petco?

Post by LazyMouse Wed 29 Mar 2017, 9:03 am

My apogizes if someone had already asked this question. Anyways I just wanted to know which store do you think has the best mice likewise. Unfortunately there's absolutely no mice breeders around my area nor are there any up on Craigslist(not sure if that's recommended) and non of the animal shelters take in rodents Sad. This leaves my options for petco or petsmart. Although I know they are not the best places, I just wanted to see which one treats their mice better and which ones have the more healthier ones . If it helps I plan on getting females(trio)
LazyMouse
LazyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Pisces Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

PetSmart or Petco? Empty Re: PetSmart or Petco?

Post by scaredymouse Wed 29 Mar 2017, 10:04 am

PetSmart!!! You also run a higher risk of getting a pregnant mouse at Petco because of their poor care.

I think health wise, mice from both stores will have the same genetic flaws but PetSmart treats their mice a lot better.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by LazyMouse Wed 29 Mar 2017, 10:47 am

scaredymouse wrote:PetSmart!!!  You also run a higher risk of getting a pregnant mouse at Petco because of their poor care.

I think health wise, mice from both stores will have the same genetic flaws but PetSmart treats their mice a lot better.
Ty, looks like I'll be getting them from petsmart. I have noticed that when I go to either petsmart or petco their mice do act differently, petco mice tend to always runaway when I ask to hold them(but I don't blame them, it's only natural to be scared) while petsmart mice do at least let you hold a bit and tend to be the most curious about your hand. I guess that was my first clue that petsmart treats them better. Also yea I'm trying to avoid getting a pregnant mouse as much as possible
LazyMouse
LazyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Pisces Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:07 am

I think it does depend on your local stores too! I've seen both stores in different locations with different levels of care going on for their animals. Worth looking around to see before you buy.

Petsmart doesn't sell live mice as feeders and tend to have less mice per tank and different color varieties. They also usually only carry one sex to try to avoid any oopsies, though that's no guarantee. The one nearest to me in state doesn't carry mice very often. When they have had them the mice all looked well, clean cages, good sized wheels. No complaints.

Petco does sell live mice as feeders so they tend to have more mice per tank and tend to mostly carry PEWs. At the ones near me they have separate tanks for males and females, but I'm sure having both in the same store increases the risk of mix ups resulting in preggo mice. Though :::knock on wood::: this hasn't happened to me yet and most of my mice have been petco mice. The one nearest to me in state has pretty decent care -mice look good, cages clean- with my main complaint being way too small wheels and not enough hides/toys. Though there's one a bit further away that was way overcrowded and all the mice looked very poorly last I was there.

But yeah, like Scaredy said, mice from both stores will be from poor breeding backgrounds so neither would be as healthy as a well bred mouse from a reputable breeder.

Sometimes these stores have mice up for adoption, so that's something to ask about or watch for. Watching out on Craigslist could be an option but remember to be safe. Though I've never had any luck there. Another way, and how I found Celyn and Rina, was on a Facebook group for mice. It was a drive to meet the gentleman half way for 2 mice but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And though he was not a mouse breeder, Celyn and Rina were so calm and absolute sweethearts from day one thanks to his great hands on care from a young age.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:02 pm

We wrote up something about how to pick a good (healthy/tame) pet shop mouse... I'm not sure where it's posted but will try to find it. Scratch
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 29 Mar 2017, 4:00 pm

Peachy wrote:We wrote up something about how to pick a good (healthy/tame) pet shop mouse... I'm not sure where it's posted but will try to find it. Scratch

It's here. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t6-bringing-your-new-mouse-home Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by LazyMouse Wed 29 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm

Peachy wrote:We wrote up something about how to pick a good (healthy/tame) pet shop mouse... I'm not sure where it's posted but will try to find it. Scratch
Okay! that'll be much needed. Please link me to it when you find it Very Happy
EDIT: nvm i saw you posted the link ignore the last comment
LazyMouse
LazyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Pisces Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down