Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hazel has a big ol' belly

+2
Rodents rock!
CallaLily
6 posters

Go down

Hazel has a big ol' belly Empty Hazel has a big ol' belly

Post by CallaLily Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

I've been noticing Hazel was getting a bit pudgey for a little while now, but I didn't think much of it because it was just a small amount - she wasn't fat, just not as trim as she used to be. No biggie right. She's around 17-18 months old, so a little fluff isn't unexpected.

But yesterday I noticed she suddenly looked huge. Like she'd swallowed a golf ball.  I freaked, thinking I had made a HUGE mistake. But after checking everyone's sex again, even though I couldn't tell you how many times I checked and rechecked when the new girls were in quarantine, everyone's is absolutely female. No doubt. They all have nipples.  Then I noticed Hazel's belly is lopsided a bit. Sad  I'm guessing it's a tumor. Crying or Very sad  I'll see about scheduling a vet visit to confirm.

Here's a few pictures.
Hazel has a big ol' belly 20170411
Hazel has a big ol' belly 20170410
Hazel has a big ol' belly 20170412
Hazel has a big ol' belly 20170413

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Hazel has a big ol' belly Empty Re: Hazel has a big ol' belly

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:04 pm

Hi Callalily,
Aww, sorry to hear Hazel may have a tumor. Please keep us posted after your vet appointment. I will keep you and Hazel in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Aw, poor chunk. I worry that there is some kind of tumor in Jellybean because she also has the golf ball look. But her weight is stable and I can't feel anything. But she's just so round... It doesn't seem normal. And I had the same experience as you, she was a little chunky and then got fat overnight.

Good luck, hopefully she's just fat!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:25 pm

Thanks guys. I think I would be less worried if it wasn't for her belly being misshapen. On her right side there's an area that pops out more. You can sort of see it in the 3rd pic and if you look closely in the 2nd.

Edit to add pic with outline of the lump that pokes out.
Hazel has a big ol' belly 2017-010

Last edited by CallaLily on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:42 pm

Yes, I'd agree that doesn't look normal. My Daisy is super chubby, but she definitely isn't that round. Clover is also really chubby, but she isn't really round either. Hopefully it isn't anything though, good luck!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:51 pm

I agree. Maier is a very large mouse and even so, she's not very 'round.'
Hopefully, it's nothing too serious. Keep us updated.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 02 May 2017, 11:01 am

Back from the vet.  He felt her abdomen and says definitely a mass. The other vet in that practice came and felt her too and agreed. Then they took xrays. So it's confirmed my poor Hazel has a tumor in her abdomen.  The trouble breathing is from it pushing on her diaphram muscle.  That will likely get worse and at which time he said I could bring her back to be PTS.  He suspects things will go downhill quickly, but for now she's eating, drinking, and doing well enough that I get this time to spoil her.

I snapped a picture of the xray with my phone but it didn't focus well at all.  My phone camera is kind of crappy.  I can share her blurry xray pic if anyone's interested.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 02 May 2017, 1:22 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry... These mice and their damn tumors. It's so heartbreaking. I know you will spoil her for the rest of her life and make sure she's comfortable. Poor little Hazel, she's one of my favorites.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 02 May 2017, 2:03 pm

Thank you, Scaredy.

I decided to go ahead and post the picture of the xray. Normally I would resize a picture this big, but that just makes it even worse.  Anyway I thought it was still interesting to look at.
Hazel has a big ol' belly 20170512
Sorry it turned sideways on me. And it looks like the hosting site automatically resized it a little anyway.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 02 May 2017, 5:29 pm

So sorry to hear a tumor was confirmed. These poor guys. Sad I hope you and Hazel get to enjoy plenty more time together.

Neat x-ray picture! Her little legs. Heart
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 02 May 2017, 8:49 pm

So sorry to hear it was confirmed as a tumor. Poor little Hazel. Yes, spoil that girl for the time she has left. Darn tumors. Keeping you and Hazel in my thoughts and prayers.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 03 May 2017, 10:43 pm

Hi CallaLily, Just checking in to see how Hazel is doing today. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 04 May 2017, 6:25 am

I haven't seen any of the mice up this morning, but when I went to bed last night Hazel was at the food dish chowing down. She looks the same. I'll update more when I get them out later today. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 20 May 2017, 9:21 am

Thought I would go ahead and update. Hazel is still hanging in there. She eats a lot.  She still comes out for treats.  I've even seen her waddle on the wheel for a little bit. Mostly she just eats and sleeps though. There have been a few times though where she's had episodes where I've questioned if it was time to take her in to be PTS.  It's always in the evening when it happens. She'll come sit up in the front corner of the tank, just looking like she's uncomfortable.  She'll lay down for a second, squirm this way and that, lay another way for a bit, and so on.  During this time she'll also groom her bottom a lot. Maybe it hurts?  Or there's pressure?  She seems to be peeing and pooing just fine.  Her breathing still looks a little labored at times but isn't any worse than when we went to the vet.  I've said to my husband more than once that if she's still acting like that in the morning I'll take her, but always in the morning she looks like she's managing so much better. She'll be stuffing her face, asking for treats, climbing around. I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to end things too soon if she's still enjoying life.  It's tough trying too decide if I'm waiting too long or giving up too soon. Worry

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 20 May 2017, 10:46 am

CallaLily wrote:Thought I would go ahead and update. Hazel is still hanging in there. She eats a lot.  She still comes out for treats.  I've even seen her waddle on the wheel for a little bit. Mostly she just eats and sleeps though. There have been a few times though where she's had episodes where I've questioned if it was time to take her in to be PTS.  It's always in the evening when it happens. She'll come sit up in the front corner of the tank, just looking like she's uncomfortable.  She'll lay down for a second, squirm this way and that, lay another way for a bit, and so on.  During this time she'll also groom her bottom a lot. Maybe it hurts?  Or there's pressure?  She seems to be peeing and pooing just fine.  Her breathing still looks a little labored at times but isn't any worse than when we went to the vet.  I've said to my husband more than once that if she's still acting like that in the morning I'll take her, but always in the morning she looks like she's managing so much better. She'll be stuffing her face, asking for treats, climbing around. I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to end things too soon if she's still enjoying life.  It's tough trying too decide if I'm waiting too long or giving up too soon. Worry

Hi CallaLily, I've had that exact same struggle with different pets through the years. It's a very tough decision. I wish they could talk and tell us what they would like. Sorry you are having this struggle, I know it's not easy. (((Hugs)))
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down