Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little

4 posters

Go down

Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little Empty Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 1:25 am

One of my mice has become more and more lazy over the past few months, but never to a weird point. She used to behave normally, just lazy and fat. She would run, but waddle to places, and would run quite slowly on the wheel when she did. But today, it's extra weird… I fed her a meal worm for the first time yesterday (so I don't know if it's allergies to that). But today we found her just sitting and not moving for a long time. I took her out and held her for a bit. Weirdly, she did not poop in my hand (as she usually does at least once when I pick her up). I came back an hour or so later and she was in the exact same spot in the cage she was in before I left. She was just laying on her spinny wheel, not doing anything. It doesn't really seem like she's had any water. I pinched her back and it seems slightly less stretchy than normal, but I dont have any syringes to feed her water with. I picked her up and again no poop. Please have a look

https://streamable.com/rga9x

Here is how she was just sitting on her wheel

https://i.imgur.com/h6xkhyw.jpg

I think should take her to the vet tomorrow? Or maybe I'm over reacting?

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little Empty Re: Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 1:33 am

Update: She crawled into a paper bad I had on my desk while I was writing this post. She peed, but its weird, because she just sat in her own pee. Plus, it was really… dilute? It didn't smell like pee at all, or like poo. It was just a lot of liquid. It was all around her belly and in the bag. I found an old syringe I had and tried to feed her some water. She drank a little. I'm going to see if I can find that make-shift pedialyte solution I saw.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little Empty Re: Lethargic, not drinking water, trembling a little

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 1:57 am

She's making this strange sound out of her mouth/throat area that I can only describe as two rocks being ground together. Or like she's swallowing really hard. Or something weird going on. It's definitely not breathing. It sounds like it could be her grinding her teeth together or something. Or maybe her esophagus or stomach is acting up. She's also trembling. Like shivering.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 07 Jul 2017, 2:15 am

I'm not a vet, so I can't tell you for sure, but it looks like it might be a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). I had a mouse from PetCo that had this when I bought her. Does she poop at all? Does it look odd? My mouse with a URI didn't poop much and when she did it looked really unusual. She would sit in corners and breathe heavily instead of having fun climbing or running on the wheel. She drank very little. I got her in my hand and she just sat there, breathing, which is very unusual, especially for a mouse that hasn't been fully tamed. She wasn't as active as a mouse should be. If your mouse sounds a lot like that, then making a vet appointment as soon as you can can't hurt. Allergies usually look differently. When a mouse is having an allergic reaction, the most common symptom is normally sneezing. But mice also show other allergy symptoms like skin problems and constant scratching. I'm not super experienced with mousey health problems, but that does look like some heavy breathing. Hopefully another member with more experience will give some advice soon, but the forum usually isn't very active at this time of day, and I didn't want to keep you waiting for a response Smile
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 2:21 am

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:I'm not a vet, so I can't tell you for sure, but it looks like it might be a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). I had a mouse from PetCo that had this when I bought her. Does she poop at all? Does it look odd? My mouse with a URI didn't poop much and when she did it looked really unusual. She would sit in corners and breathe heavily instead of having fun climbing or running on the wheel. She drank very little. I got her in my hand and she just sat there, breathing, which is very unusual, especially for a mouse that hasn't been fully tamed. She wasn't as active as a mouse should be. If your mouse sounds a lot like that, then making a vet appointment as soon as you can can't hurt. Allergies usually look differently. When a mouse is having an allergic reaction, the most common symptom is normally sneezing. But mice also show other allergy symptoms like skin problems and constant scratching. I'm not super experienced with mousey health problems, but that does look like some heavy breathing. Hopefully another member with more experience will give some advice soon, but the forum usually isn't very active at this time of day, and I didn't want to keep you waiting for a response Smile

I dont think it's a URI. She's had a URI before and I'm mostly familiar with the symptoms. The noises shes making aren't the same as the ones she and her sister made when they were sick with a URI. She's not pooping at all. And yeah she's breathing quite heavily, but there's no rattling sound. Plus she's not sneezing like she was when she had a URI. Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely taking her to the vet tomorrow morning if she's not better by then.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 07 Jul 2017, 8:58 am

I hope she will be ok. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 6:50 pm

Hi guys. We took her to the vet today. She had cancer. We had to get her euthanized because we are going on vacation and wont be back for another month. Even with treatment she'd only have a couple more weeks and we wanted to bury her.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 07 Jul 2017, 7:36 pm

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that, sorry for your loss Sad

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 07 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

I think we are going to adopt another to be Nibbles' friend when we come back from our vacation. We're dropping her off at a nearby small animal rescue for boarding. I'll ask them to keep an eye on who she makes friends with Smile

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 07 Jul 2017, 10:27 pm

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that, but she is at peace now.
Take care.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomMouseLover05 Sun 09 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm

So sorry to hear that. <3

RandomMouseLover05

Wishful

https://www.quotev.com/BeastGalGamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down