Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symptoms of upper respiratory infection?

4 posters

Go down

Symptoms of upper respiratory infection? Empty Symptoms of upper respiratory infection?

Post by Cutestpuffstuff Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:34 am

I'm relatively new to having pet mice and have read a lot of things about upper respiratory infections. That they're common a among mice.
Im scared and don't want my mice to get one.
My questions are...
What are the symptoms? And how to spot it early on?
How to prevent it?
How to treat it?
Is there any home remedies? Or stuff I can buy online if my mouse gets one?
And anything else you can tell me about URIs.
Thank you.

Cutestpuffstuff

Back to top Go down

Symptoms of upper respiratory infection? Empty Re: Symptoms of upper respiratory infection?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 13 Oct 2017, 1:18 am

What are the symptoms? And how to spot it early on?
Sneezing, hunched posture, very rough and hard breathing, sounds when breathing (from my experience, it sounds like they are struggling to get air in, because their lungs are filled with gunk), sometimes lethargy (though not always). Just make sure you watch for any of the symptoms. Sneezing is not always caused by a URI, so don't panic if your mouse sneezes, it may be allergies. However, if your mouse has any of the other symptoms, especially if they have several of those symptoms, that is when you should seek veterinary care. Mice need to go to the vet as soon as you can take them when you start noticing symptoms, as they can go downhill quick.
How to prevent it?
Even if you try your hardest to prevent it, there are some mice that are just sensitive and will get it. However, there are a two things that I know of to help prevent respiratory issues. First of all, use a non-dusty paper bedding instead of wood, it helps them to breathe more clearly without any difficulty. Secondly, make sure to clean their enclosures on a weekly basis to prevent ammonia buildup that makes breathing difficult.
How to treat it?
Your mouse would need to see a vet, and the vet would likely prescribe an antibiotic for you to give to your mouse daily until he/she is well.
Is there any home remedies? Or stuff I can buy online if my mouse gets one?
Unfortunately there are no home remedies that I know of. The only way it can be treated is with a safe antibiotic prescribed by a vet. This type of antibiotic can only be purchased from the vet, there is no way to get it elsewhere that I know of.  Even if you could get it elsewhere, it would likely be very difficult to get the dosage right without a vet's help.

Also don't be afraid they will get a URI! As long as you are caring for them properly, and giving them everything they need to keep their immune systems strong and healthy, that will greatly help in preventing one. I can't say they will never be sick, as it isn't uncommon for mice to become ill, but giving them the best care will definitely help them fight many illnesses. I've had 14 mice, and only 4 of them have had any sort of illness so far. Only 2 of those 4 had a URI! Smile
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Symptoms of upper respiratory infection? Empty Re: Symptoms of upper respiratory infection?

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 13 Oct 2017, 9:07 am

I agree with AnonymousMouseOwner, don't worry. Just take the steps she suggested to try to prevent them and if your mice do get sick, take them to the vet. I have a male mouse, for over a year and a half, and knock on wood he's never been sick a day in his life. I used to have two female rats, Brandy and Chloe. Brandy was never sick a day in her life, but Chloe had repeated problems with URIs. So ya just never know. Just be prepared to take them to the vet if necessary, other than that, enjoy your mice Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 13 Oct 2017, 10:14 am

I've had dozens of mice and only every had a couple with URI.  If caught early, they are easily treated with antibiotics.

to prevent then, start by getting a healthy mouse with no signs of illness.  Then simply provide good nutrition, clean environment, proper bedding, and keep them at a comfortable temperature... You will greatly decrease your chances of them getting sick.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum