Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What material to use for hammocks??

5 posters

Go down

What material to use for hammocks?? Empty What material to use for hammocks??

Post by goldfishfanforever Tue 31 May 2016, 7:02 pm

So I was wondering what material is best to make hammocks out of for mice as I would like to make a few even if they turn out extremely bad Very Happy

Thank you in advance
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

What material to use for hammocks?? Empty Re: What material to use for hammocks??

Post by Artistwolf Tue 31 May 2016, 7:47 pm

Definitely fleece Very Happy Felt works too, but it's less comfy in my opinion! No cotton or other woven fabric. Fleece and felt are pressed together or something so they don't fray or stick together in strings. Hard to explain but anyway, they're safe for mice. If you're planning to sew anything, only use monofilament thread—it's one plasticy-type thread so therefore safe to chew on, although it's also tiny and slippery so they're not likely to chew on it. Hot glue also works well if you don't like seeing Wink 
Hope I helped Smile
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

What material to use for hammocks?? Empty Re: What material to use for hammocks??

Post by goldfishfanforever Tue 31 May 2016, 7:49 pm

Artistwolf wrote:Definitely fleece Very Happy Felt works too, but it's less comfy in my opinion! No cotton or other woven fabric. Fleece and felt are pressed together or something so they don't fray or stick together in strings. Hard to explain but anyway, they're safe for mice. If you're planning to sew anything, only use monofilament thread—it's one plasticy-type thread so therefore safe to chew on, although it's also tiny and slippery so they're not likely to chew on it. Hot glue also works well if you don't like seeing Wink 
Hope I helped Smile
Thanks and yeah that did help could I also by any chance use old socks and hang them up in the cage for them to sleep in?? Well by old I mean odd socks Laughing
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Tue 31 May 2016, 7:51 pm

Lol unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it because it's not a safe material to chew on :/
Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Tue 31 May 2016, 7:52 pm

Artistwolf wrote:Lol unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it because it's not a safe material to chew on :/
That's fine I would feel bad that they would have to sleep in a sock anyway Jester
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 31 May 2016, 8:20 pm

Hot glue works for making hammocks, but it won't survive the wash. So just keep that in mind if you plan on washing anything - you'll need to re glue them after washing, or just chuck them out and make new ones Thumbs Up
MouseLover
MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:19 am

MouseLover wrote:Hot glue works for making hammocks, but it won't survive the wash. So just keep that in mind if you plan on washing anything - you'll need to re glue them after washing, or just chuck them out and make new ones Thumbs Up
Ok thanks I think it would be best to make more because you know they would probably fail anyway Shocked
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sat 04 Jun 2016, 5:04 am

Try toilet paper. I make toilet paper hammocks that just get replaced every week. Or if i do make felt ones, i line them with toilet paper but lately i just skip the felt and use toilet paper.

One of my meecer's has a toilet paper roof on her cage. If you triple up a quality toilet paper, it can support one or two mice pretty easily. Of course being the goofball she is, she's on top of her tower and ignoring anything that isn't the highest point of the cage.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Sat 04 Jun 2016, 6:12 am

peas wrote:
Try toilet paper.  I make toilet paper hammocks that just get replaced every week.   Or if i do make felt ones, i line them with toilet paper but lately i just skip the felt and use toilet paper.    

One of my meecer's has a toilet paper roof on her cage.  If you triple up a quality toilet paper, it can support one or two mice pretty easily.   Of course being the goofball she is, she's on top of her tower and ignoring anything that isn't the highest point of the cage.

I never thought of using toilet paper but it sounds like it works and it is cheap so I'll give it a go Smile
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 04 Jun 2016, 6:59 am

my mice tear up toilet paper, so if would never work for my girls.  plus, I've had as many as 5 girls up in the hammock sleeping before.  toilet paper would never support that many mice and if it did, it would be a disaster if that gave way and dropped them all.

also, you don't even need glue for a simple hammock.  just take a large square of fleece, fold it over so you have a 2-ply triangle, and then attach the corners to the lid using safety pins and zip ties.  Ta-da!
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Sat 04 Jun 2016, 7:10 am

scaredymouse wrote:my mice tear up toilet paper, so if would never work for my girls.  plus, I've had as many as 5 girls up in the hammock sleeping before.  toilet paper would never support that many mice and if it did, it would be a disaster if that gave way and dropped them all.

also, you don't even need glue for a simple hammock.  just take a large square of fleece, fold it over so you have a 2-ply triangle, and then attach the corners to the lid using safety pins and zip ties.  Ta-da!
Ooh I wanna try! Very Happy
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum