Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumpy

5 posters

Go down

Jumpy Empty Jumpy

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:38 am

So over the past few days, Little Cow has been a bit jumpy at times. It's not all the time, and she's still acting very much like herself, but a couple of times, when she's seen me walking by the tank, she'll rush for a box in a very flighty manner. It's really unlike her, because usually she gets excited when she sees me walking by. I'm wondering if this change could have anything to do with her tumor, and if it could be caused by any sort of resulting pain? Because if so, I'd like to start her on metacam right away.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Jumpy Empty Re: Jumpy

Post by peas Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:23 am

There's no real way to know.    It could be, it could be anything.  

If she's still eating and drinking and active, it's probably not pain.    Metacam is something i wouldn't rush to be using if i could help it.  You don't want to create problems where ones might not exist yet.   I have had mice live a long time with tumors, a long time i am sure they wouldn't have if they were over medicated with pain killers which are dangerous drugs for animals and people.  

It could be because of pain, it could be your imagination, it could be a hormonal reaction to having a tumor and the body's fighting of it, it could be something different about the weather and how you smell.    Could be a billion different things.

If she still has energy and is moving around fast and looks full of life, i would just chalk it up to mice being mice.   If she slows down and looks less interested in life and is sleeping more and more then give it a shot.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 08 Jun 2016, 1:50 am

It's hard to guess what it is. It could be all the meds in her system making her act unusual. Or she is just more anxious because of tumors or meds.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:35 am

Is that the mouse with the cataract? Even if not, my first thought is that maybe she is having changes with her vision, so she's getting spooked by movement. I don't really think that particular behavior suggests pain, especially since she is still acting like herself in every other way.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 08 Jun 2016, 5:38 am

scaredymouse wrote:Is that the mouse with the cataract?  Even if not, my first thought is that maybe she is having changes with her vision, so she's getting spooked by movement.  I don't really think that particular behavior suggests pain, especially since she is still acting like herself in every other way.

Huh? No, Little Cow has a tumor, not cataracts. She's not on any medications right now either.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:21 am

I get the impression that mice with tumours sometimes feel a little more vulnerable than usual. Perhaps they sense that they're not at their best, they're more tired than usual and (if the tumour is pretty large) it's not as easy to move about. It would be more difficult to evade predators in this condition, so it would make sense that they would take less chances, and try to hide more when they sense movement.

I've observed similar behaviour in some of mine that had tumours, and that was just my take on it.
MouseLover
MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum