Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing multiple mice to each other

4 posters

Go down

Introducing multiple mice to each other Empty Introducing multiple mice to each other

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm

Ok, so as most of you know, I currently have two females, but tomorrow I am going to get two more, so I'll have a colony of four. I want to know how to introduce them when the time comes - should I put them all in a neutral tank together and let them all meet at once?
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Introducing multiple mice to each other Empty Re: Introducing multiple mice to each other

Post by Peachy Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm

I introduce in the bathtub, but a tank would work also. Put all the girls together at the same time and observe. I usually use that time to wash their dishes and toys at the bathroom sink, it takes about 20 minutes, and then if the mice are doing well they all go to their new home. Smile Here's the Introducing Mice page with some other tips: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t39-introducing-mice
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Introducing multiple mice to each other Empty Re: Introducing multiple mice to each other

Post by MesaMouse Sun 26 Jun 2016, 12:15 am

I've done group introductions in neutral territory, usually a freshly cleaned playpen stocked with many types of wheels and toys. The excitement of the toys being enjoyed by all often takes the edge off that first meeting. Two mice might jump on the saucer and only realize that they don't know each other after they start running. As abeona said, if all is well after 20-30 minutes (no bloodshed), all the girls can go to a freshly cleaned tank to start life as a colony.
MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 26 Jun 2016, 2:14 am

After the neutral territory introductions, I like to make sure the tank they go in has a lot of treats and toys to keep them busy. I put treats in every nook and cranny, put in two wheels, and pack it full of stuff to play with and chew. I find that there is less to bicker about if everyone has something to do.

Just remember, no blood- no problem. There may be squeaking, chasing, humping... all totally normal. Or it could be totally boring!
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 26 Jun 2016, 2:24 am

scaredymouse wrote:After the neutral territory introductions, I like to make sure the tank they go in has a lot of treats and toys to keep them busy.  I put treats in every nook and cranny, put in two wheels, and pack it full of stuff to play with and chew.  I find that there is less to bicker about if everyone has something to do.

Just remember, no blood- no problem.  There may be squeaking, chasing, humping... all totally normal.  Or it could be totally boring!  
Yep, I've had an experience with introducing mice in general - because the two mice I have now were purchased separately and introduced, and there was lots of squeaking and chasing but nothing I was worried about. I've just never had an experience where I've had to introduce such a large group - but hopefully it'll go well! Thanks for the info!
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 26 Jun 2016, 2:54 am

Piece of cake Wink

I introduced two mice to three mice and it went smooth. It has a lot to do with the age, size, and personality of the mice. The two mice i introduced were very young and i introduced them to a much older trio, with a really good alpha.

Good luck! Just try to get those new ones tamed up real good while they are in quarantine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum