Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think my pet mice is dying what should I do?

5 posters

Go down

I think my pet mice is dying what should I do? Empty I think my pet mice is dying what should I do?

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:41 am

My little black mouse, Luna, (Who I had for about 9 months now) I suspect is dying.
For the past few days I noticed her starting to eat less. I thought it was maybe because I had to change their formula do to their usual mix running out. It just had pallets and seeds (Which my mice do not like the pallets but eat the seeds.) Which I know is ok for a couple days till I get their usual mix. Now I didn't notice luna eating it (The mix I gave them was actually the same exact mix and brand I got when I first ever got Luna & Sol. Which she seemed to eat fine before); I decide to give her some uncooked otmeal oats and plain whole grained cereal. Which she ate and enjoyed fine. Another thing I noticed is that she drank water very slowly, and her activity was getting low.
Its currently morning and my mice went to sleep for the day. Usually when its actually sleeping and not casual naps they all huddle together but Luna was outside sleeping. Now its not unusual my mice to do this. Tho usually they like to make a little nest when they sleep outside their hidey holes but again, thats not what worried me. What worried me is how she looks. I can tell she's uncomfortable. Her fur is a bit more fuzzed, and not just that but a major dead giveaway is that something is wrong with her is that her breathing is bad. I can tell she's having a hard time breathing, plus she occasionally does these gauging/gasping motions. And it looks like she lost a bit of fur in her face (Mostly under her eyes.) She has no bumps or anything.
I'll list the problems.
-Struggling with breathing
-Gasping/gauging motions
-More tired/low activity
-Fuzzed fur
-Hair loss
-eating less
-drinking a bit less too
I know something is definitely wrong.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a vet at the moment.
I'm not sure whats wrong with her. I don't know if what she has is contagious, I dont want my other mice to get it (But they currently seem fine.)

I think my pet mice is dying what should I do? A9wihe

Sorry for bad quality. I haven't slept tonight (For completely different reasons.) I took this when I first noticed something was really off.
Also, I dont know if it matters but she still cleans herself, very shakily but is currently doing it right now. Any ideas on what to do? I'm pretty much preparing for the worst, at this point I want to make sure Luna is as comfortable as she can be right now and my other mice are safe.
Thanks.

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

I think my pet mice is dying what should I do? Empty Re: I think my pet mice is dying what should I do?

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

URI?  She really should see a vet. The only safe treatment for an URI is vet prescribed antibiotics.

Last edited by CallaLily on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

I think my pet mice is dying what should I do? Empty Re: I think my pet mice is dying what should I do?

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:01 am

That mouse needs to see a vet. It's the only way. Do you keep track of your pets' weight on a regular basis? If so, check her now to see if she has lost weight. If she cannot breathe, she's losing weight, and she's losing fur, then you're right, she could be on the verge. But it's not too late; get her to a vet. If you tell them it's an emergency, they should give you an appointment today.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:08 am

Thank you for your responses. But unfortunately I do not have any vets for exotic pets near me. Some of my family MIGHT have antibiotics pills but idk if id be able to give that to her :/

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:10 am

Do NOT give her any sort of medicines that a vet didn't prescribe you. That will do way more harm than good. Call around and see if any of your local vets will see her as an emergency. If you stress that she could be dying and needs to see someone, one of the vets should be able to help you. If a receptionist is being stubborn, demand to speak to a vet or vet tech. Crying on the phone helps too. Just because she can't see an ideal vet does not mean she should be denied vet care.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:23 am

CinnamonPearl wrote:Do NOT give her any sort of medicines that a vet didn't prescribe you. That will do way more harm than good. Call around and see if any of your local vets will see her as an emergency. If you stress that she could be dying and needs to see someone, one of the vets should be able to help you. If a receptionist is being stubborn, demand to speak to a vet or vet tech. Crying on the phone helps too. Just because she can't see an ideal vet does not mean she should be denied vet care.

Ok thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do. Any ideas to help ease the pain at least in case theres no vets available? Even if she dies I don't want her to suffer. But again, Ill keep looking and talking to my family about it.

Thank you all!

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:33 am

CinnamonPearl wrote:Do NOT give her any sort of medicines that a vet didn't prescribe you.

This. Most vets should be willing to see her and be able to prescribe medicine accordingly. Call around.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Wed 27 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm

did she manage to see a vet?

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Sat 06 Aug 2016, 6:53 pm

timez wrote:did she manage to see a vet?

We aren't able to take her to a vet unfortunetly. Due to recent events we can't afford a vet and we've been moving so my family is busy. BUT on the good side Luna is MUCH better. Since my post she pretty much went back to her old self, her breathing seems to be going back to normal. She might of caught something? She's been acting fine for the past week so I feel like she'll be ok. Either way not much I can do.

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 06 Aug 2016, 7:03 pm

Being in a situation where you have to deny your pets medical care is extremely dangerous for them. Isn't there something you can do to get enough money should your animals need it? After all, mice are animals who are so prone to so many health problems. You never know what can happen or when.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Sat 06 Aug 2016, 10:37 pm

also if you are in the uk - there is always the pdsa?

timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Sun 14 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Being in a situation where you have to deny your pets medical care is extremely dangerous for them. Isn't there something you can do to get enough money should your animals need it? After all, mice are animals who are so prone to so many health problems. You never know what can happen or when.

I totally agree. My mice are feeder mice that were going to be sold for food, fortunately none of them seem to have problems right now (Luna seems back to normal). But I do know mice are prone to getting sick, hopefully within a month or two my family will have more money. I'm going to look around my area and see whats available and see what we can afford.

Ty for all the responses <3<3 Things are going much smoother now <3

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by The4Mouseketeers Sat 07 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

Illumimoe666 wrote:
timez wrote:did she manage to see a vet?

We aren't able to take her to a vet unfortunetly. Due to recent events we can't afford a vet and we've been moving so my family is busy. BUT on the good side Luna is MUCH better. Since my post she pretty much went back to her old self, her breathing seems to be going back to normal. She might of caught something? She's been acting fine for the past week so I feel like she'll be ok. Either way not much I can do.

I'm glad to see she's doing better. If it was an illness and you have other mice, make sure everyone's doing well. Much love and support! Kiss She surely is a fighter Smile
Hooray

Keep on keeping on! Day Dream

The4Mouseketeers

Cloud 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum