Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antibiotics Question

4 posters

Go down

Antibiotics Question Empty Antibiotics Question

Post by peas Mon 15 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

So my mouse has been on Doxycycline and Baytril.

He started the Baytril 3 days before the Doxy, do they go off it at the same time normally? Or does one end before the other?

Also, how long have you normally given Doxy for a URI, for? My vet said he wanted the doxy-baytril combo for 3 weeks. That seems quite long to me, i have only ever had vets in the past give antibiotics for 2 weeks and even that is just a precaution. We once did baytril for only 8 days.

Why the wild swing in days? One vet saying 8 is enough and the other saying 3 weeks?

What has been the normal procedure for you in the past with doxycycline?

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Antibiotics Question Empty Re: Antibiotics Question

Post by MouseLover Mon 15 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm

I have never been given doxy before, only baytril. It is my understanding that baytril and doxy are used together when a respiratory infection is either severe, or hard to get rid of. Does your mouse have quite a bad URI? That could explain the longer treatment period as well?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 15 Aug 2016, 6:32 pm

I've never been on two antibiotics at once so i'm afraid i don't have anything to add. I was only on doxy once and it by itself for a standard 10 day course. I would imagine the longer course of treatment would be given to treat a recurrent infection. Three weeks is a really long time to be on antibiotics

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Mon 15 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm

I'm in the minority, but the longer the better. URIs are notorious for going into remission for a short time only to flare up again as bad as ever. Sieze any chance you can take to cure it once and for all right off the bat!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 16 Aug 2016, 8:09 am

I agree Brynne. URIs can cause life-long problems if not gotten rid of properly. I'd rather do too much than too little to get rid of them.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down