Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Treat Bombs!

+2
EverythingAnimal
MooMouse
6 posters

Go down

DIY Treat Bombs! Empty DIY Treat Bombs!

Post by MooMouse Sun 21 Aug 2016, 10:23 pm

Before we get started, I just want to mention that this idea was largely inspired by AnonymousMouseOwner's tutorial on how to make a mouse pinata. I came up with this idea when I didn't have any hemp string and wanted to make a 100% edible toy for my mouse. Here is the link to the pinata tutorial: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t712-how-to-make-a-mouse-pinata-thingy

How to make a DIY Treat Bomb for your mouse!

What you will need:
-Cardboard egg carton
-Paper bag
-Your mouse's favorite treats
-Plain tissues/toilet paper

1) Cut out 2 pieces of egg carton

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2013

2) Poke holes in the end of each of the pieces

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2012

3) Cut out 2 strips of paper bag (medium length)

4) Thread both strips of bag through the holes you poked in step 2

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2014

5) Stuff with tissues, toilet paper, and treats

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2011[/url]

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2010

6) Push the two sides of egg carton together (mine just happened to fit perfectly together, you may have to manipulate yours a little bit)

7) Tie the paper strips together on each side of the bomb (make sure that you are tying the ends of the SAME strip together!)

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2015

8 ) Let your mouse enjoy!

DIY Treat Bombs! Img_2016
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

DIY Treat Bombs! Empty Re: DIY Treat Bombs!

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 22 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm

Cool idea! I've been searching through craft stores left and right and CANNOT find any hemp string! They just have dyed jute. This will be perfect with just a strip of paper bag!

As a side note, you use dirt and mulch substrate? How do you prepare it? Do your mice like it?

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Mon 22 Aug 2016, 3:53 pm

Thanks! I hope your mice enjoy it!

For my mouse's cage, I use Organic Potting Soil. I get it at Walmart. It's called Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil, although I'm thinking of changing over to the garden soil instead. I haven't done my research yet to see what the difference is though :/

I prepare it by leaving it in my freezer overnight, just to make sure I kill anything that could be inside. It's supposed to be sterile, but just as an extra precaution.

And, my mouse seems to like it! It does wonders with eliminating the odor that comes with owning a male mouse. He enjoys digging in it and taking out some of the larger pieces to make a collection of them on the roof of his igloo. The downsides are that you can't really spot clean, because the poop blends in and the pee gets fully absorbed. He also does not sleep on it, he "shovels" it out from the floor of his puzzle house and igloo. I provide him with tissues, toilet paper, cardboard, and other nesting materials since he can't use the dirt for that. I'm thinking of changing to CareFresh ultra, does anyone know if it works well for male odor?
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 22 Aug 2016, 9:17 pm

EverythingAnimal wrote:Cool idea! I've been searching through craft stores left and right and CANNOT find any hemp string! They just have dyed jute. This will be perfect with just a strip of paper bag!

As a side note, you use dirt and mulch substrate? How do you prepare it? Do your mice like it?
EverythingAnimal: just wanted to let you know I found hemp string at Michael's Craft Store in the gift wrapping supplies section.

MooMouse: I do love the idea of the strips of brown paper bags in place of string, very creative idea! Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 22 Aug 2016, 9:29 pm

MooMouse wrote:Thanks! I hope your mice enjoy it!

For my mouse's cage, I use Organic Potting Soil. I get it at Walmart. It's called Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil, although I'm thinking of changing over to the garden soil instead. I haven't done my research yet to see what the difference is though :/

I prepare it by leaving it in my freezer overnight, just to make sure I kill anything that could be inside. It's supposed to be sterile, but just as an extra precaution.

And, my mouse seems to like it! It does wonders with eliminating the odor that comes with owning a male mouse. He enjoys digging in it and taking out some of the larger pieces to make a collection of them on the roof of his igloo. The downsides are that you can't really spot clean, because the poop blends in and the pee gets fully absorbed. He also does not sleep on it, he "shovels" it out from the floor of his puzzle house and igloo. I provide him with tissues, toilet paper, cardboard, and other nesting materials since he can't use the dirt for that. I'm thinking of changing to CareFresh ultra, does anyone know if it works well for male odor?

Hi MooMouse, the best thing I've found for the male smell is dried corn kobb bedding. Mickey loves it. I also add a little Carefresh so he has it for his house for sleeping. The kobb litter is in the bird section at PETSMART.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 22 Aug 2016, 9:44 pm

Rodents rock! wrote: EverythingAnimal: just wanted to let you know I found hemp string at Michael's Craft Store in the gift wrapping supplies section.
Ah, Michaels. I've been searching Joann Fabrics because that's what's near me. Although I think there's a Michaels... somewhere. Razz Thanks!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:18 pm

I actually found the hemp string pictured in my tutorial at Walmart near the craft supplies and yarn. I thought it was really cool because it was colored and everything!

Cool tutorial, MooMouse, thank you for sharing!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:

Hi MooMouse, the best thing I've found for the male smell is dried corn kobb bedding. Mickey loves it. I also add a little Carefresh so he has it for his house for sleeping. The kobb litter is in the bird section at PETSMART.

I'll have to try that! I actually just picked up some Walmart-brand paper bedding, so I can use that as a mix-in I suppose.
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander Sun 28 Aug 2016, 8:35 pm

I made one of these toys for my mouse Eddie! His first reaction was to grab one of his little crocheted fleece stuffed animals my mom made for him and run it away from the treat bomb. So funny that he wanted to protect his little stuffed toy. Then he came back and thoroughly sniffed it. Then after determining it was safe he destroyed it with a ton of glee and hopping up and down! A successful toy.
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Sun 28 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

Ealexander wrote:I made one of these toys for my mouse Eddie!  His first reaction was to grab one of his little crocheted fleece stuffed animals my mom made for him and run it away from the treat bomb.  So funny that he wanted to protect his little stuffed toy.  Then he came back and thoroughly sniffed it.  Then after determining it was safe he destroyed it with a ton of glee and hopping up and down!  A successful toy.

I'm very glad that little Eddie enjoys it! Cute how his first reaction was to grab his stuffed friend and run for it Laughing
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 28 Aug 2016, 9:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I love that Eddie had to save his friend!! He always sounds like such a fun boy. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down