Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips for first time mouse owner?

+4
River
CinnamonPearl
MouseLover
beba
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tips for first time mouse owner? - Page 2 Empty Re: tips for first time mouse owner?

Post by scaredymouse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

I would venture to say if they haven't struck blood yet, you are *probably* okay but definitely keep an eye on them.  Pet stores do more harm than good with their advice sometimes.  So, to answer your question, sticking some tissues in your pocket or down your shirt to get your scent and then putting them in the tank is great.  Do not use a sock though, the material is not safe for mice.  Mice can only have paper based products, fleece or felt.  No cotton fabric or rope, ever. It takes mice a while to settle in, at least 2 weeks. Also, since you introduced two new mice so quickly... they will need a little extra time to get used to their new home and their new roommate and the new cage. I'd say be pretty gentle with them for 2-3 weeks and then you can really work on taming them. They'll come around. Start with just putting your hand in there and waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Eventually, they will come sniff it and maybe scurry across it. It's all progress. Baby steps!

I don't know if you've had a chance to explore our site, but we have lots of great information posted already if you want to browse it:

general info:

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f14-general-information

health:

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f15-health-information

environment:

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f16-environment

It sounds like you've been given a lot of misinformation, so feel free to ask us any questions or run ideas past us and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

tips for first time mouse owner? - Page 2 Empty Re: tips for first time mouse owner?

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:24 pm

Wow, that woman at the pet store has been in the industry for three decades and hasn't learned a thing. Talk about a waste of time! Seems like Scaredy got it covered, but yes, I'll emphasize that next time you get a new mouse, quarantine is mandatory for the safety of all mice involved.

Also, considering the pet store you got your mice from is less than ideal, are you 100% certain they're both girls? Pet stores are notorious for misgendering mice, and it's CRUCIAL that you're absolutely certain on the sexes of your mice. Boys and girls have very different requirements in terms of who they can and cannot live with. If you'd like, we can check for you. Just post clear photos of their genitalia and that'll do the trick. It helps to put them in a glass jar or some sort of clear container and take photos from the bottom.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 22 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

Regarding your mice running away when you approach the cage, that's really normal with new mice. They're still getting used to their new home, and they've not learned that you mean no harm yet.

I don't remember if you said where you keep their cage, but I try and keep new mice in an area where they'll get used to me being around a lot. So for example, my new girls are in a cage on a little table, right by where I sit in my front room (where I spend most of my time). They get used to you quicker that way, even if you're just sat there ignoring them.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2