Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper Pellet Cat litter *Caution*

5 posters

Go down

Paper Pellet Cat litter *Caution* Empty Paper Pellet Cat litter *Caution*

Post by CanadianExport Sat 29 Oct 2016, 2:07 pm

I decided to try using a layer of paper pellet cat litter as the base layer of bedding in my cage to add some odor control to my Kaytee Clean and Cozy. I wanted to go cheap at first while figuring out if this was going to do anything so I decided to try ExquisiCat unscented paper pellets. I got it home and opened the bag and there was a REALLY strong chemical odor too it. I decided I didn't want to risk it and immediately returned it to PetsMart, luckily they took it cause they are not always that good about opened food and litter. I then went to my local MudBay pet store because their return policy is way more reliable and picked up OkoCat paper pellets and those are much better. They are smaller and have no weird chemical odor.

Just wanted to warn people about the ExquisiCat in case they wanted to try the paper pellets. I am not sure how it is going to work but I am much happier with OkoCat even though it is pricier.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Paper Pellet Cat litter *Caution* Empty Re: Paper Pellet Cat litter *Caution*

Post by CallaLily Sat 29 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

Sounds like a good call. A quick look on Petsmart's site says this:

Features: Baking soda, zeolite and natural odor control

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Sat 29 Oct 2016, 5:22 pm

Guess I missed that part....

So actually quick question and I apologize if it seems ignorant. I actually knew they had baking soda and zeolite in the cat litter (though what the heck is "natural odor control") but I thought that since it was baked in and not loose that it would be fine. I guess I thought this because Carefresh for a long time had baking soda baked in and a lot of people still used it. Am I wrong in thinking that? OkoCat has none of that stuff as far I could find on the packaging.

Last edited by CanadianExport on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added question)
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 29 Oct 2016, 8:09 pm

I don't know for sure. I just know that when Carefresh added baking soda, a lot of small animal owners noticed it causing problems with sneezing/breathing.

I have no idea about the other stuff. But thought one or more might explain the smell?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 29 Oct 2016, 10:51 pm

When carefresh added baking soda, we discouraged people from using it. As callalily said, many people had serious problems with their critters as a result of the baking soda. There was such a backlash from small animal owners that carefresh had to go back to their old formula and stop using baking soda. Baked in or not, baking soda is a rodenticide, meaning it kills rodents. It's not worth the risk to use it. And I don't know what zeolite is but I've never seen it used in rodent products.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:32 am

OK, thank you for the explanation. I appreciate the input and the information regarding baking soda. I believe explore is an odor absorbing mineral. I have seen little packets of rock like bits that you hang near animal cages that are supposed to be odorless. I will definitely steer clear of anything with baking soda or added order reducers in it from now on.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 30 Oct 2016, 1:57 am

CanadianExport wrote:OK, thank you for the explanation. I appreciate the input and the information regarding baking soda. I believe explore is an odor absorbing mineral. I have seen little packets of rock like bits that you hang near animal cages that are supposed to be odorless. I will definitely steer clear of anything with baking soda or added order reducers in it from now on.

It's so hard to know what, exactly, is in many bedding materials' "odor control formula" as it's considered proprietary information. I'd gotten to the point that if the package boasted "odor control formula", I just wouldn't buy it. Clean and Cozy always worked well for my colonies, especially with a few layers of newspaper at the bottom of the tank and a few handfuls of shredded newspaper mixed in. It's a blessing that hamsters don't urinate as much as mice (nowhere near as much) so Clean and Cozy works just fine for Imogene.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Sun 30 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

I think the thing that throws me so much sometimes is that so many people use paper pellet cat litter but they never talk about any of the additives in it at all so I made the mistake of assuming it would be fine. I will definitely be more careful in the future. Sigh I really do appreciate all of the feedback from you guys.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:37 pm

I guess because this warning is under the paper bedding section and only paper based cat litter is recommended?

You should always double check the packaging on any brand of bedding for added baking soda or fragrance. These things pose health risks to mice if ingested and can irritate their sensitive respiratory systems.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding

Perhaps a warning should also be added under the cat litter section? Or just in red at the beginning so it's not missed? I know the mods are slowly updating these articles that have been carried over from TFM.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Sun 30 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

I think it would be a helpful warning to add down there just to make it clearer. I appreciate the work all of the mods are doing!
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 30 Oct 2016, 7:23 pm

I added the warning in a few different spots. It's in there like four times now, if anyone misses it let me know. Gotcha
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 31 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

Thank you Peachy!
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine