Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure!

2 posters

Go down

Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure! Empty Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure!

Post by worm Fri 20 Oct 2023, 9:47 pm

Hello! I’ve noticed that one of my mice has been chewing the top of the tank edges (they’re in a 20 gal tank)! Is this normal behavior or even is that safe for her? She had plenty of things to chew in the tank but do I need to get even more?

Spooky

Back to top Go down

Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure! Empty Re: Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure!

Post by animalgirl555 Wed 22 Nov 2023, 12:05 pm

Does she have any foraging toys? My mice would do that sometimes, too, and I found that foraging toys were the best thing to distract them from chewing.
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure! Empty Re: Pet mice chewing on the tank edge of their enclosure!

Post by worm Wed 22 Nov 2023, 1:43 pm

@animalgirl555 I fill a tp roll with hay and stuff treats in there for them to forage! Is there any you would recommend? Thanks for replying btw!

Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by animalgirl555 Wed 22 Nov 2023, 8:06 pm

Take a brown paper lunch sack/bag, and fill it with paper, hay, and treats. You can also poke a few holes in it.
Also, take some mouse-safe branches, and rub peanut butter on them. Then, stick seeds using the peanut butter.
My mice especially loved the peanut butter. They will destroy anything with peanut butter and seeds.
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

worm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by worm Wed 22 Nov 2023, 9:23 pm

@animalgirl555 :00 I didn’t know they could eat peanut butter!! What kinda sticks are mouse safe? And how would you clean them? Like soak them in water? The paper bag is a good idea tysm!!!

Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by animalgirl555 Thu 23 Nov 2023, 8:45 am

You can boil the sticks, or freeze them overnight. You can even bake them (in the oven).
For the most part, you can use sticks from trees that give mouse-safe fruits. Some popular ones are apple, mulberry, and hazelnut (I know hazelnut isn't a fruit, though Smile )
You can even use pinecones!
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

worm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down