Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lots of News, Good + Bad!

5 posters

Go down

Lots of News, Good + Bad! Empty Lots of News, Good + Bad!

Post by maygins Wed 07 Dec 2016, 4:35 pm

Wow, it sure has been a long week. Was it two weeks? Three? Just one? Eh, who cares, it was very long and it sure was very eventful. I'll start off with the bad news because that's reality. So, the mice fighting got to a point where I had tried everything and I just didn't want to deal with poor Saltine being bullied by Pepper. I put Pepper and Yin in the Kaytee Critter Trail with a food dish, a toy Christmas tree, water dish, and their most popular hide. They seem a lot more relaxed now that they don't have to constantly be annoyed by Saltine and Bubby anymore. They actually sleep and cuddle and groom each other now, which they did not do in their previous home. I have Bubby and Saltine in the ten gallon, with a medium sized paw print jar to sleep in, filled with blue and white care fresh of course! Their new bedding is the stormy scented care fresh and it works like a charm. They have a dog's chew toy, which looks safe for them to chew on, and their wheel. Bubby and Saltine are the only mice who have ever used the wheel. I gave them the old water holder and a new food dish. I also gave them a cute desert island decoration, they love climbing the palm tree. At first I thought it would be a bad thing to separate them for good, but it's actually working out exceptionally well. Bubby and Saltine can rest and play now without fighting, and the other two can sleep and laze around like they usually do, but without interruptions. They don't seem to miss each other. I do, however, let them play in the tub together with a few toys. They seem to not really like it but they need some social interaction. Every time I clean their cage it's quite a hassle because I have to keep them in one container, but as I'm dumping out their old bedding, they start to fight in the container. Phew. So I end up carrying the victim, Saltine, with me as I dump it out. Phew.

Second bad news, here we go. My blood thirsty cat, Bubby, has always wanted to have a taste of my mice. And she finally got a little closer to her goal. I was almost about to fall asleep in my sisters room when I heard a loud crash, and sure enough, it was Bubby. She had somehow knocked the Critter Trail cage containing Pepper and Yin onto the floor, and it was a huge mess. The top fell off, their bedding, water, and food was everywhere, and the mice were cowering on the floor. Bubby ran under a dresser and I finally kicked her out. I didn't think about inspecting the mice yet, because I was cleaning up the huge mess. About thirty minutes later, I inspected them, and realized that Yin had two puncture marks in her neck. They were not at all deep but they looked bad. I suspected Bubby cat had bitten her and then when I entered she ran, but It also could have been their wooden hide which has points fell on her. They've healed very well, and I have been giving her lots of attention and cuddles. She is acting normal, and you can barely see the wounds anymore.

I don't really want to type anymore so I'll shorten the good news a little bit!
-Fur villa, a new and popularly awaited game, just opened and I was one of the first registrations! I snagged the username Rodent.
-I don't really have anymore good news!

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Drama Queen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrkVYG7q94N_NHZv02zAvw?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Lots of News, Good + Bad! Empty Re: Lots of News, Good + Bad!

Post by Peachy Wed 07 Dec 2016, 5:03 pm

You have a cat AND a mouse named Bubby? Laughing It's great news that Pepper and Yin were okay. A few years ago my cat jumped over my shoulder and right into the play bin. It's very scary!!! Hopefully you were able to make sure that can't happen again.

Sometimes splitting the colony is best. I'm glad it's working out so far. Fighting mice are no fun.
Maybe you can put in a toy or something while you're cleaning cages to stop any arguing. I'd also consider getting a wheel for the mice that don't have one. Some mice don't enjoy running, but it's good to give them the option. You might find that they weren't using it because the others wouldn't let them!

Letting your two pairs have playtime together and then being separated is stressful... especially if they don't even like each other! As long as they're in at least a pair, they shouldn't need more socializing.

Furvilla sounds like a cute game. Glad you got the username you wanted! Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 07 Dec 2016, 6:02 pm

I agree, sometimes groups just don't work out. As long as they're in pairs, it's good. Been there, done that. Laughing

I also agree that shared play time between two groups is stressful, especially since they're fighting. Another thing I'd like to add is scented bedding can be very bad for their sensitive lungs, so it's not recommended.

I'm glad your mice are ok.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 07 Dec 2016, 7:37 pm

I just wanted to echo what was already said... Scented bedding isn't safe for mice, it can lead to respiratory disease. If your mice are going to be living separately, it's important to keep them separate. That means they can't play together, it's confusing and scary for them. Also, both colonies need access to a wheel.

I'm glad to hear your mice were okay after the incident with the cat. Hopefully you have found a way to prevent that from happening again. Are the mice in a room that usually has the door shut? Maybe you could keep them on the floor, so even if the cat got in he couldn't knock it down? I hope you're not too mad at kitty, he can't help himself.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by maygins Wed 07 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

My door is always closed tight, my sister accidentally left it cracked. She's a feisty cat indeed. I'll get the non scented bedding next time I go to ACE, I guess that'll work too! I won't let them play together anymore, and I'll provide a toy in the bin for cleaning. Thanks for advice!

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Drama Queen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrkVYG7q94N_NHZv02zAvw?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 08 Dec 2016, 6:46 am

Good idea to split up the colonies. You're eventually going to need another ten gallon tank for the two girls in the small tank though. Even two mice need the same amount of space as three- a 10gal tank is the absolute minimum. The good thing about doing this is the cat becomes much less of a worry. Cats cant knock down glass aquariums, and with a proper metal screen top and locking clips, they can't open a tank either. So even if your cat gets into you're room again, your mice will be safe until you can come and remedy the situation.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down