Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild mouse in my cage again!

4 posters

Go down

Wild mouse in my cage again! Empty Wild mouse in my cage again!

Post by Josie705 Tue 10 Jan 2017, 12:45 pm

So I made a post about about finding a wild mouse in my mouse cage about a week ago. I released him the next day about three miles away at a creek. Well I found him AGAIN.
I had moved one of my mice into an empty cage so that he could recover from his depression (his friend sadly died). Well he did not make it. That was about two days ago. I buried him, but I did not remove the cage because I've been really busy with a sick horse. This morning I decided today's the day to clean it out. Well...I walked into the bathroom to find a mouse running on the wheel of the cage that should be empty!! And I'm almost 100% sure that it's the same wild mouse!! Same old tear in its ear and same discoloration/bald spot on its forehead, and a male. Since it's this dedicated to wanting to live in one of my cages, and now that it's alone and not with my domestic mice, should I just keep him?? I know I probably won't ever be able to handle him, and that's fine by me. Should I leave the cage door open for a few days to see if he stays?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Josie705

Back to top Go down

Wild mouse in my cage again! Empty Re: Wild mouse in my cage again!

Post by CallaLily Tue 10 Jan 2017, 1:53 pm

Release him. It's not strange that he's running on the wheel. There was a study done a while ago where they set up wheels outdoors to see if wild animals would actually run on them and they will!  So that's no indication that he'd be happy caged.  He's just drawn to warmth, food, water and nesting material - like any other mouse, wild or not. Please release him.  Besides, he got in your cage himself. He will get out again and likely into your food.

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/45762-wild-animals-run-on-wheels.html

Last edited by CallaLily on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 10 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

Yes, release him. He is a wild animal; he won't be happy in captivity. Maybe you could try releasing him further from your house? Odd that he made his way back! In the future if you ever keep domestic mice again, I would replace your wire cage with an aquarium plus a locked screen top. This way, wild mice can't get in and attack or impregnate any mice you have. Plus, if a wild mouse can get into this cage, any domestic mouse can get out if they ever think to try.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by VgKing Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

My friend had the same experience, but unfortunately the wild mouse turned out to be a bother for her. He used to bite a lot and had a very mean temperament. My friend tried to tame him for like two weeks but the stress was too much. She finally released him. He lingered around for several days and then varnished.

VgKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down