Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a "safe food" list?

3 posters

Go down

Is there a "safe food" list? Empty Is there a "safe food" list?

Post by theo1231231 Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:26 am

Hello. Ive been looking around the web for some safe food and treats for mice. Theres a good list on this website that I use, but Im looking for a long list of food that mice can eat. I found loads of stuff online, but a lot of it is contradictory, (like I thought leccice was okay but then I read somewhere else its not, etc)

Im after a comprehensive,  honest to god, 100% A-OK  list of good and bad foods for mice. Maybe a hood book you can recomend? Or a really legit website. (I thought the well established pet buisness, Pets for Homes, would be reliable, but they say grapes are good for mice,wtf?)... Thank you mice folk.
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Is there a "safe food" list? Empty Re: Is there a "safe food" list?

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:54 am

You can use the safe food list on here! It has plenty of variety.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 14 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

Good luck!!  I couldn't find much in the way of a ready made list of confirmed safe and unsafe foods when I first got back into keeping mice a couple years ago. (I was so spoiled by HCA and their awesome crabby safe/unsafe lists!)  I searched around a lot on forums, research papers, websites, etc and put together that list that's here. All of the food on the safe list are confirmed safe. Grapes are there because so many people/places agreed that they were ok peeled - though I'm with you and avoid them just to be on the safe side!  The foods on the avoid list are either confirmed unsafe or I can't find enough info to prove they are safe.

It hasn't been an easy task and admittedly I've sort of dropped the ball on researching more foods lately. But if anyone finds and can confirm a safe or unsafe food please let us know so we can update the list!!  Very Happy

Edit to add: lettuce is safe. Darker varieties are healthiest. Some websites say no because of diarrhea risk but that can happen if you go too fast with offering any new foods. Start with small amounts - really our mice don't need a lot anyway - and only one new food at a time.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Sat 14 Jan 2017, 5:40 pm

okay thanks guys thats great, yeah I hadn't looked at that list in while, I forgot how much stuff there was on there. and good to know its all fully researched and legit.

Cheeers, will be buying a few things tomorrow. (I just saw one of them go for a blueberry for the first time - adorable!)
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum