Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chronic sneezing & sneezing virus?

2 posters

Go down

Chronic sneezing & sneezing virus? Empty Chronic sneezing & sneezing virus?

Post by Opalesce Tue 07 Feb 2017, 10:24 am

It's been a week since I brought my little one home, and he's still sneezy. Otherwise, he seems perfectly fine! He's very energetic and scales the bars of his cage constantly, is digging around for food, very active when I take him out as well. I know that box shock sneezing can last up to 2 weeks, but I'm wondering if something else might be at play.

I read elsewhere that the majority of mice (and rats) carry a "sneezing virus" and often stress brings it out (and it did today- after I took him out briefly he started to sneeze a bit more, as he's still getting used to me.) Apparently, it can also be chronic, but the mouse can otherwise be fine (for example, Edgar's sneezing but eating, drinking, not hunched when he walks, very active etc.) Every site I've visited has either said this, or said sneezing is an RI (but at this point in time, I'm fairly sure it's not) and must be treated immediately. I'm very wary about illnesses in my animals and am always ready to take them to the vet if ever a sign of illness shows up, but at this point in time I don't feel that I need to do that, because his everyday activities are normal, he looks healthy, and he does not come off as sick at all. He did have a slightly squinty eye a few days ago, but a quick saline swab rendered it back to normal the next day... perhaps it was just some dust or something stuck in there. His cage is dry, bedding dust-free, and I will be completely cleaning it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, experience with sneezy mice, or thoughts on this so-called "sneezing virus"?
Opalesce
Opalesce
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Caffeine Fix
1st Place -- February 2017

Back to top Go down

Chronic sneezing & sneezing virus? Empty Re: Chronic sneezing & sneezing virus?

Post by CallaLily Tue 07 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

I don't have much experience really with this sort of thing but most of what I've read, repeatedly sneezing can be "box shock" with new mice, or allergies or RI.

Another thing to keep in mind is that mice are really great at hiding symptoms of illness. By the time they start looking and acting sick, they're usually quite ill. If you don't think it's an allergy or box shock, I would talk to a veterinarian.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Opalesce Tue 07 Feb 2017, 11:38 am

Definitely. I will wait another week to make a decision, but it's hard to say right now- I haven't had mice in about 10 years so I'm starting all over again. It could well be box shock but I'm just trying to think of other diagnoses as well. Seeing as I've never had a mouse with box shock, either, it's hard to tell and I could be overreacting.
Opalesce
Opalesce
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Caffeine Fix
1st Place -- February 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down