Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random...

+4
CallaLily
boofandkara
CinnamonPearl
stephlisa
8 posters

Go down

Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random... Empty Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random...

Post by stephlisa Thu 05 May 2016, 5:49 pm

So we're going to the vet whatever happens, but I thought I might as well ask here for advice.

Colin has sneezes which is why we're definitely going to the vet, but he makes some very interesting noises, but only when he's out playing with me. When he's in his home he's pretty much silent.

When we're out he makes some gentle squeaks, chirrups and also this surprisingly loud sound which reminds me of a cats purr but more crackly. He doesn't make these noises when my fiancée takes him out for playtime but that might be coincidence. He had been making these noises for around 10 minutes but now he's sat in the crook of my arm and running up my arms being completely silent again.
I've yet to hear him make these noises in his home.
But, this only occurs sometimes. Sometimes he's very noisy, other times he's silent.

The noises don't seem to to correlate with activity levels either.

My first thought was URI (hence vet as soon as I can get an appointment), but I would expect those noises from a URI to occur most of the time. Is this still most likely to be a URI or are there any other things this could be?

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random... Empty Re: Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random...

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 05 May 2016, 5:56 pm

Could you get a video? Chittering is a URI symptom, but some mice just chatter normally. My Rosie will chatter softly whenever she's happy and loudly when she gets nervous. (It's kinda funny to move slightly whenever she's snuggling with me, because her chatter volume will suddenly rise exponentially. Laughing)

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random... Empty Re: Colin's Making Odd Noises Seemingly At Random...

Post by stephlisa Thu 05 May 2016, 6:01 pm

I'll get a video when he starts making the noises again!!!
(Typical...when you want him to make noises he doesn't...!)

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara Mon 16 May 2016, 11:26 am

Any update on this? My Boofaloo chatters whenever I'm near the tank, but sometimes I catch him making a little click or squeak while sleeping. Not always, but at times. I've been thinking of taking him to the vet this week, but he doesn't have any other symptoms. No mucus, he's not lethargic, he eats, he runs, he explores, he bites...

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 17 May 2016, 9:45 am

It's hard to say without hearing the noise.  It could be a URI or just a chatty mouse.  I had a mouse that would chitter when excited or nervous. Here's a really bad video of her right after I put her back in the tank after play time.
https://youtu.be/p1koD_2fVUo
Any other time and she was quiet. But get her out for play time or change something big in the tank and she would make this noise.

stephlisa wrote:and also this surprisingly loud sound which reminds me of a cats purr but more crackly.  

This makes me think of bruxing. Which is a happy sound that I think comes from them grinding their teeth.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 17 May 2016, 10:11 am

Bruxing is often accompanied by a weird eye thing where their eyes seem to wiggle a bit. I think some people calling it boggling. My mouse Peach used to brux and boggle when I stroked her, so look out for that Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Tue 17 May 2016, 1:03 pm

Hello, sorry I haven't been around for a little while, life got a bit busy!

So Colin went to the vet and she thinks he's just a chattery mouse and that the sneezing is most likely an allergy (we're working out what...we're trying different bedding this week and he seems to be much less sneezey already). We're keeping an eye on it and if it gets worse we'll be going straight back.

I never managed to get a video or recording of his noises sadly, but I'd still recommend going to the vet if you're at all worried. I will try and get a recording of his noises but with life so hectic I can't promise anything! Colin's noise is very similar to that in CallyLilly's link!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara Tue 17 May 2016, 3:47 pm

Good to hear.

I have a feeling that's what's up with Boofaloo. We shall learn tomorrow.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Tue 17 May 2016, 10:07 pm

Do you wear perfume/cologne? When I let my partner hold a mouse she starts to sneeze, but when we put her back the sneezing stops. We figured it out to be the cologne my partner wears, because she doesn't sneezes on me or in her home.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 18 May 2016, 2:14 am

I don't wear perfume/cologne, but we do have scented soap and I often wash my hands before picking him up (normally because of an activity I've just finished)...probably worth a try to eliminate that next!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Wed 18 May 2016, 4:38 am

Glad it doesn't seem to be a URI. I work at a pet store and we have one mouse who chatters. He's very high strung and it took me about a week to actually make friends with him. I've heard Agent Bauer chatter a bit too though not often... He's a pretty highly strung little guy as well. I haven't met a ton of mice but I've never met a truly laid backnmale that chatters... Do you think temperament might have something to do with that behavior?

I have no idea personally, just curious if anyone who has known more mice than me has noticed a correlation.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Thu 19 May 2016, 3:10 pm

I'm sure it has to do with temperament, although not necessarily 'high strung' per se. It's just that some meeple like to vocalize a lot (at least in the lower-range frequency human ears can hear), while others do not.  I once had a group of girls, the mainstays of which were momma Minnie and her daughter, and when those two were together they would chuckle and cluck like a nest of chickens. Then some others would join in and the mouse tank became quite the hen-house! Then when Minnie passed, her daughter fell silent (less to laugh and chuckle about?) and so did everyone else.  Crying or Very sad  
Over time I've developed a fine ear to distinguish between contented/happy/excited chattering, and URI-related sounds. There is usually a subtle difference, although sometimes they can be identical and then you have to depend upon knowing the expressions of your particular merson (mouse-person).

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 19 May 2016, 4:11 pm

I would always err on the side of caution and get a vet's opinion on a chattering mouse. Better safe than sorry Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 20 May 2016, 8:38 am

Colin is very laidback most of the time, but I don't think that would necessarily correlate with more chattering. I'm not experienced in the mouse world, I can just tell you what my little one gets up to!
We're glad it's not a URI as well, although we are still keeping an eye and ear out just in case the noises change or he has any other behaviour change. The last few days he hasn't sneezed at all that I've noticed which is an encouraging sign Smile

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down