Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room

5 posters

Go down

How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room Empty How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room

Post by PastelMouse Wed 12 Apr 2017, 10:59 pm

After reading on the different genders, I've learned male mice tend to smell a bit. Is it truly that bad? Would a 20 gallon long be large enough to keep the smell down somewhat? I don't mind a little bit, but icky scent is icky.

Also can I keep a mouse cage and hamster cage near each other? My hamster cage is raised on a bench, and I wanted to put the mouse tank under the bench. Will there be any issues?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room Empty Re: How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm

It really depends on the mouse. My Rocky smells a little bit, if I get close I can smell it. However, my Scout smells BAD. I have tried almost all the methods recommended to get rid of the smell, but nothing has worked. He's just a smelly mouse, and I can't do anything to make him not smell. So really, it depends. Some have said they have had male mice that don't smell at all, and others have had mice that stink terribly like my Scout. As far as I'm aware, the size of the tank doesn't matter as far as smell goes. Scout has a 20 gallon, which is above the minimum of 10 gallons, but he still smells.

There's nothing wrong with keeping them close to each other, as long as they have both been quarantined, preferably for 4 weeks. This means you will want to keep the cage/tank as far away as you can for the first 4 weeks he is home, and if you don't notice anything unusual, you can then move his tank where you want it and he can be near the hamster.

How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room Empty Re: How bad do bucks smell? +keeping hamster and mice in the same room

Post by scaredymouse Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:21 am

Tank size will make no difference with the odor. Mice have a smell... girl mice and boy mice. Some boys have a stronger smell but most of us don't mind it. The other thing that my boys do that my girls don't is mark me when i'm handling them. They sort of leave a little snail trial of their scent on me. It's not my favorite but I have a special boy mouse hoodie that I wear when I handle them. Problem solved. There are some things that reduce the odor but there is always going to be a smell. For girls and boys. I don't think the smell is good *or* bad... it's just what mice smell like.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

scaredymouse wrote:there is always going to be a smell.  For girls and boys.  I don't think the smell is good *or* bad... it's just what mice smell like.

Yep. That's the thing. Good/bad/tolerable depends not only on the individual mouse but on the person's nose! Daryl was the only buck I've had so far and he certainly had a stronger, muskier scent than any of my girls but I didn't mind it so much. Like Scaredy, it wasn't good or bad. It just was. But my husband was really bothered by it, which is weird because his sniffer isn't so good.

The girls I've had have had a much more toned down smell, but still a smell. It reminds me of jasmine rice. Again, to me, not really good but not really bad either.

So it's hard to say if a buck's odor would be too much for you. And you do became a bit used to it. I wonder about those that claim their mice don't smell at all. All animals have some sort of smell. And yes, a good diet and regular cleaning helps, but there's still going to be some odor. Maybe they've just become completely nose blind to it? Or maybe they mean no scent that they consider bad?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

My Mickey has a not so nice scent - it has either lessened with the time I've had him or maybe I've just gotten used to it.
I remember when I first got him, I was a bit shocked at how strong his scent was - but maybe it was worse then because he was nervous being in a new place.
Now, about 95% of the time I don't even smell it - only once in a while I will get a whiff.
Either way though, I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is just the sweetest little man!!!

I have Mickey's tank very close to Pup's (male gerbil) tank and have never noticed any problems.

Hope this helps.

Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum