Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucy Has a Bald Spot

+2
Rodents rock!
MouseBites
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lucy Has a Bald Spot Empty Lucy Has a Bald Spot

Post by MouseBites Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

I've had her and her sister Ethel about a month. They were from a shelter and are close to 10 months old now. The bald spot is not that bad. Probably wouldn't even notice it upon first glance. May have been there a few days even. I have mainly been feeding them Oxbow Rat food but also throw in some Kaytee Fiesta mouse mix too, like maybe half a tablespoon per day (I've been giving them the sunflower seeds and peanuts only sparingly and throwing out the corn completely). They get veggies about every other day (broccoli, peas, green beans, or carrots) and usually a couple Cheerios or millet as treats everyday.

So I know that diet isn't what people around here recommend. Seems like all over the internet people have different opinions on a good mouse diet. The shelter I got them from gave me an info sheet that said they must be given lab blocks with 18% protein and no more than 4% fat. Have yet to find anything of the sort. But anyways, I figured Oxbow Rat food would be alright since it was 4% fat plus the ingredients seem healthier. Only recently found on here that lower protein is actually better.

I'm unsure what caused it. As far as I know, it's either high protein or an allergy that causes bald spots correct? I believe they were strictly on a lab block diet at the shelter (but I should probably contact them for more info on that). Could be they are allergic to something but again I don't even give them the sunflower seeds or peanuts very much.

I didn't think to ask if they were breeder mice or from a pet store. The food guide on here says breeder mice would need higher protein. Could they get bald spots from low protein, assuming they were breeder mice?

Is this something that requires a vet? There are no open wounds. I just assume this is something that can be fixed by changing their diet but I'm new at this. What should I start feeding them?

Please don't be too hard on me. They are my first ever pets and I'm trying and I love them so much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Lucy Has a Bald Spot Empty Re: Lucy Has a Bald Spot

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:36 pm

Hi MouseBites, welcome Very Happy  All the members here are friendly and always happy to help. So don't worry that anyone is going to be hard on you. I think it's great that you adopted mice and love them! And the fact you are here asking for help shows you really care for them and want the best for them. I've had my mouse for almost a year now, but I know I'm not as experienced as a lot of the members here. I think I recall reading on here that sometimes peanuts and sunflower seeds can cause allergies in mice. So you might want to try not feeding those. Other than that, I'm sure you will get some more responses from people with more knowledge. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseBites Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm

Here are a few pics. Right between the ears.

Lucy Has a Bald Spot 20170410
Lucy Has a Bald Spot 20170412
Lucy Has a Bald Spot 20170411
Lucy Has a Bald Spot 20170416

Rodents rock! wrote:Hi MouseBites, welcome Very Happy  All the members here are friendly and always happy to help. So don't worry that anyone is going to be hard on you. I think it's great that you adopted mice and love them! And the fact you are here asking for help shows you really care for them and want the best for them. I've had my mouse for almost a year now, but I know I'm not as experienced as a lot of the members here. I think I recall reading on here that sometimes peanuts and sunflower seeds can cause allergies in mice. So you might want to try not feeding those. Other than that, I'm sure you will get some more responses from people with more knowledge. Very Happy

Thanks so much!

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:56 pm

Lucy is a gorgeous girl, I love her coloring! Is Lucy scratching in that spot?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 26 Apr 2017, 12:05 am

I agree with Rodents Rock!, we try our best to be welcoming, friendly, respectful and patient. Smile

Here's our page that discusses hair loss, it'll mention a couple possible causes besides food allergies and crude protein, as well as things you can do to help:
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites

Is she scratching or missing any fur or whiskers on her face? Does your other girl seem to groom her head alot?
What else do you have in her environment?

It doesn't look like allergies or hot spots to me, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have their diet in check anyway. This page has some foods that we recommend for mice, as well as some more info about what to look for in a food: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-mouse-diet

Another thing to consider is parasites. These can cause thinning hair too, usually around the neck and face, though usually a bit differently than what you're seeing, imo. There's more information about parasites and how to treat for them at the bottom of the first page I linked to. It's something we recommend doing for every mouse that comes into your home, as it's a good preventive in any case.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseBites Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:18 am

doesn't appear to be missing any whiskers or face fur. I haven't noticed much grooming of each other. they both do kinda scratch themselves a bit. not sure how much is too much though. they have a wheel, tissue box hut, tissues/tissue paper, toilet paper rolls, sisal ball, a couple small wood block chews, a couple popsicle sticks, a small popsicle stick platform for the food bowl, a bird ladder, and used to have a willow tunnel but it's in pieces now Laughing

i did just get a new bag of Carefresh complete. the brown one. changed the bedding on Saturday. i had been using the white Carefresh before.

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

That's more or less what my Graham looked like in the instance of her allergy! It doesn't look bad at all yet, so it should be an easy fix.

The Oxbow Rat Food has incredibly high protein, in my opinion, which could definitely be causing problems. Unfortunately even shelters sometimes don't do all the right things, especially with small pets. I would double check the information given and make the decision you think is best for them.

Have you tried removing all wood? This is (unfortunately!) what helped my girl. Other than that I would lower protein in the diet and see how it plays out. Basically, I second what others say. Good luck!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 26 Apr 2017, 9:18 pm

River wrote:That's more or less what my Graham looked like in the instance of her allergy! It doesn't look bad at all yet, so it should be an easy fix.

The Oxbow Rat Food has incredibly high protein, in my opinion, which could definitely be causing problems. Unfortunately even shelters sometimes don't do all the right things, especially with small pets. I would double check the information given and make the decision you think is best for them.

Have you tried removing all wood? This is (unfortunately!) what helped my girl. Other than that I would lower protein in the diet and see how it plays out. Basically, I second what others say. Good luck!

Yes, come to think of it, the wood could be the problem, I had forgotten about that. Reason I say is because I used to make Mickey really cool structures out of popsicle sticks, which he loved, but he was scratching a lot and started getting a bald spot on his side. So I decided to stop using the popsicle sticks to see if those might have been the problem. After that he was scratching a lot less and his hair grew back! He has never had a problem since. Now the only things I use in his tank are made of plastic or ceramic. I do give him the apple wood sticks for chewing and he is good with those. Hope this helps Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseBites Wed 26 Apr 2017, 10:20 pm

yeah the popsicle sticks seem like the most likely cause now all things considered. i had just started using them a week ago so the timing seems right. i'll remove those and see how that goes. was looking forward to making them stuff but i guess i'll just have to be more creative now Razz

Thanks so much everyone Love any other thoughts or advice is still appreciated though!

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:11 pm

MouseBites wrote:yeah the popsicle sticks seem like the most likely cause now all things considered. i had just started using them a week ago so the timing seems right. i'll remove those and see how that goes. was looking forward to making them stuff but i guess i'll just have to be more creative now Razz

Thanks so much everyone Love any other thoughts or advice is still appreciated though!

Hi MouseBites, just a suggestion, it would be best to also do a whole cage clean to be sure that you start with a clean slate when removing the wood. If you don't mind my asking, what area do you live in in Virginia? I moved to Flagstaff AZ about 18 1/2 years ago from Fairfax VA. I had also lived in Arlington VA for a few years. I'm originally from Baltimore MD. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

Hi MouseBites, Here are a few picks of Mickey's current tank set up. Just thought you may like to see some ideas of decorating without wood.

Lucy Has a Bald Spot Win_2018

Lucy Has a Bald Spot Win_2020
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 26 Apr 2017, 11:28 pm

Great setup! Some good ideas for me, too. I really need to get that shelf!

Is the ladder plastic, or? If so, where'd you get it? Mine love ladders but they tend to fall apart in a few days unless its a drink holder type.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseBites Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:
MouseBites wrote:yeah the popsicle sticks seem like the most likely cause now all things considered. i had just started using them a week ago so the timing seems right. i'll remove those and see how that goes. was looking forward to making them stuff but i guess i'll just have to be more creative now Razz

Hi MouseBites, just a suggestion, it would be best to also do a whole cage clean to be sure that you start with a clean slate when removing the wood. If you don't mind my asking, what area do you live in in Virginia? I moved to Flagstaff AZ about 18 1/2 years ago from Fairfax VA. I had also lived in Arlington VA for a few years. I'm originally from Baltimore MD. Very Happy

i live near Arlington actually Shocked

i'd like to know where you got that ladder as well. the shelf too. what exactly do they chew on without wood?

ETA: i was just planning to get rid of the popsicle sticks, should i go no wood at all? they seemed fine with the willow tunnel.

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

Without wood, they can chew on hard plastic and cardboard. It'll keep their teeth worn enough!

I went without wood entirely. I had used sticks and other wood toys her whole life until she was about 3-4 months, and suddenly, no wood allowed! I still let my other girl, who loves wood, play with my old wood toys during playtime while Graham is still in the tank, so they aren't wasted.

Maybe try no popsicle sticks first and then try no wood if it doesn't improve? Or perhaps try no wood at all and later on re introduce the willow tunnel? It is possible that's its only a certain kind of wood.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 27 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

River wrote:Great setup! Some good ideas for me, too. I really need to get that shelf!

Is the ladder plastic, or? If so, where'd you get it? Mine love ladders but they tend to fall apart in a few days unless its a drink holder type.

Yes, the ladder is plastic. Got it at PetSmart in the bird toy section. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next