Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for eliminating cage odor?

5 posters

Go down

Tips for eliminating cage odor? Empty Tips for eliminating cage odor?

Post by Kattyxoxo Mon 22 May 2017, 11:55 pm

Henlo, everyone.

I'm look for any and all advice regarding eliminating that mousey smell. I do have a large number of mice together, so I know it will get smelly quicker than usual, but I'm wondering if anyone has some clever tricks to help me out.

I clean their tank once a week and spot check it once a day.

What more can I do?

Cancer Worried

Back to top Go down

Tips for eliminating cage odor? Empty Re: Tips for eliminating cage odor?

Post by scaredymouse Tue 23 May 2017, 4:28 am

That's tricky with so many mice! I have 17 mice and there isn't any more i can do at this point!

Other things you can try: Filtered water, changing their food mix, getting a small air filter, washing the wheel every day. The wheel is usually a big source of mouse smell. Filtered water helps a lot. I have my mice in one room and use a small hepa filter that was only 30-40 dollars on Amazon and it helps.

If i recall, you have them in a 40g tank with carefresh bedding? If so, that's fine. If not, let me know. Also, what are you feeding them?

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattyxoxo Tue 23 May 2017, 10:55 am

Yes, they're in a 40 gallon tank with National Geographic Comfort Bedding and small amounts of Carefresh to nest with in their huts.

Tips for eliminating cage odor? Img_2514

I have a wheel that's made of meshed wire, so it doesn't hold much smell. But, you did give me the idea to wash their decor each day. There is a ramp they have that holds a lot of smell.

Cancer Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 23 May 2017, 5:28 pm

The other thing that makes a difference is diet. What are you feeding them?

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattyxoxo Wed 24 May 2017, 1:55 am

The brand they're eating now is Oxbow. And then sometimes I'll give them fresh veggies; carrots, broccoli, etc.

They also take vitadrops in their water.

Cancer Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 24 May 2017, 2:07 am

We actually recommend feeding them Vitasmart Vitakraft Parakeet food. Most mouse food on the market is far too high in protein, it's not interesting to them, and mice just don't like it. This parakeet food is actually perfect for mice and they really enjoy it. Also, when fed the right food. Then don't need vitamin drops. I would also be hesitant to put anything in the water that might impact how much they drink. Switching food and providing filtered water should help with the odor. I mean, it's not magic but it helps Smile

http://www.petsmart.com/bird/food-and-treats/pet-bird-food/vitakraft-vitasmart-parakeet-food-5194523.html?src=search&searchterm=vitasmart%20parakeet&ps=undefined

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 24 May 2017, 10:21 am

This page has some additional foods that we recommend, as well as some info on what to look for in a food in case you can't find one.

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t15-mouse-diet
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 24 May 2017, 12:52 pm

scaredymouse wrote:Most mouse food on the market is far too high in protein, it's not interesting to them, and mice just don't like it.

Just wanted to add that this is particularly true for Oxbow's mouse food. In the link Peachy posted you'll see that there's a history of mice not thriving when fed exclusively oxbow mouse pellets. It's also way too high in crude protein for most mice and is mostly junk ingredients, like corn. Switching to a healthier seed mix is the way to go, but if you still would like to incorporate some sort of block/pellet food you can. If so, I would recommend their adult rat formula over the mouse one or Supreme Science Selective (which I believe can still be found on amazon). But the seed mix is going to be their main staple. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattyxoxo Wed 24 May 2017, 2:51 pm

Okay, this is so much great information! Thank you!

I still have some of a bag left over, so if I were to buy the parakeet food and add in a few pellets of the mouse food, would that still be okay for them? I don't want to waste any food.

Cancer Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 24 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Ideally you would just switch over but i understand. It won't hurt them to finish a bag. But when you start getting low, mix the old food with the new food transition... It helps their tummies adjust to the change.

I also wanted to mention that cotton nest fluff is unsafe for mousies. I think i saw some in one of your pictures, so i wanted to mention it. Bedding should all be paper based. Most of us use shredded paper towels or toilet paper for the nest, they love that stuff! Also you can make little fleece hammocks which are nice and soft for them.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 24 May 2017, 7:52 pm

Kattyxoxo wrote:
I still have some of a bag left over, so if I were to buy the parakeet food and add in a few pellets of the mouse food, would that still be okay for them? I don't want to waste any food.

Yes. It's not harmful if it's alongside a good staple seed mix. It's just sort of like junk food. It also helps to transition over slowly, like Scaredy mentioned.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattyxoxo Wed 24 May 2017, 8:28 pm

scaredymouse wrote:Ideally you would just switch over but i understand.  It won't hurt them to finish a bag.  But when you start getting low, mix the old food with the new food transition... It helps their tummies adjust to the change.

I also wanted to mention that cotton nest fluff is unsafe for mousies.  I think i saw some in one of your pictures, so i wanted to mention it.  Bedding should all be paper based.  Most of us use shredded paper towels or toilet paper for the nest, they love that stuff!  Also you can make little fleece hammocks which are nice and soft for them.

As for the cotton, I don't use that anymore. It was in the cage the day I got them from their previous owner and before I had done a bunch of reading about proper bedding. Now they use carefresh in their nesting areas.

Cancer Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 24 May 2017, 11:08 pm

Excellent

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by muisjes Fri 23 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

See my post from yesterday. No smell for months!

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down