Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peanut Butter Nose

5 posters

Go down

Peanut Butter Nose Empty Peanut Butter Nose

Post by Akoniti Sat 12 Aug 2017, 7:49 am

We just (hopefully) narrowly avoided disaster...

We were giving the colony a little peanut butter off of our fingers, and I ended up bumping one of the mice I was feeding (Ophelia, about 14 months old, the cutest little creature on earth) on the nose with some.

She immediately started sneezing, weezing, taking big labored breaths, and ran into a corner and hid. From perfectly healthy to OH NO! in seconds. We took her out, wiped her off, and steamed up the bathroom quick for her. Now she seems OK, but that sucked!

Anyway, I've read about the dangers of a clogged nose in the context of delivering liquid meds (I guess mice can't breath through their mouths?), but don't see any data on things one can do if it happens to help them.

Are there any emergency measures that can be taken for a mouse with a blocked airway?

Angel RIP: Link, Toad, Despereaux, Minnow, Shogun, Ophelia, Arya, Zeo, D2
Akoniti
Akoniti
Jr Member
Jr Member

Creative

Back to top Go down

Peanut Butter Nose Empty Re: Peanut Butter Nose

Post by CallaLily Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:34 am

There's some info here on first aid for small animals. http://www.nenuphar.plus.com/FirstAid/
(Found here: External Mouse Links.)

On mouth breathing it says this:
It is especially important to keep the airways clear, as small animals will become distressed and/or dehydrate if they have to breathe through the mouth.

I hope this helps. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

Also, mice should not have peanuts or peanut butter due to potential allergies.  It's best to just avoid it.  They can have other types of nuts like pecans, walnuts, and cashews.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoniti Wed 16 Aug 2017, 5:35 pm

Thank you for the replies CallaLily and scaredymouse.

The:
http://www.nenuphar.plus.com/FirstAid/
...link did have a lot of useful information, but really nothing related to what to do if their nose gets jammed up with something. I guess maybe there's not much you can do other than hope they sneaze it out?

We've used peanut butter as a treat since we started mousing- it's so cute when the nibble it off your fingers. We will stop this right away- I completely missed the entry on this at the bottom of the Safe Foods list, thanks for pointing that out.

Angel RIP: Link, Toad, Despereaux, Minnow, Shogun, Ophelia, Arya, Zeo, D2
Akoniti
Akoniti
Jr Member
Jr Member

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 16 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

they would probably like cashew butter just as much

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Tue 05 Sep 2017, 5:56 pm

I don't know how well it would work, but there are aspirator bulbs (squeeze bulbs with a nozzle) that are used for cleaning mucus out of babies' noses. On a mouse muzzle the nozzle would cover the nostrils (not go inside them), but that might be useful in a breathing emergency. Especially if there is something thick like peanut butter that won't just wipe off or trickle out. I can't vouch for how effective that would be and I hope I never have to use one, but it might be a good emergency 'last ditch' supply to have on hand.

Re eating peanut butter: I give my mice peanut butter now and then as a special treat but only after I first introduce a little bit and see how they react.

Just as with humans, most mice aren't reactive to peanuts and have no problem with it. Those who do react tend to develop hot spots and scratch a lot, but that seems to require fairly regular exposure and a certain quantity of nuts in their diet. Of course, it is impossible to know what that trigger point might be, or who might be allergic. So the advice to not give them peanut products is a blanket precaution, from the 'better safe than sorry' school of thought, because once an allergy is triggered, they are miserable for a while, and it can be more easily triggered in the future.

However, I haven't seen any bad side effects from using pb or nuts as an occasional treat. I pick peanuts out of their seed mix so they aren't eating them on a daily basis (that is far more likely to trigger an allergy than random occasional consumption). What they do get to eat is minimal, and infrequent, but they do enjoy it and none of my many meeple has had a problem with it over many years.

That said, mice seem to like any kind of nut butter, so there are a lot of options out there to use.

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 05 Sep 2017, 9:40 pm

How scary that must have been. I'm glad your mouse is ok.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down