Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help and questions about wild mouse please!

+4
Peachy
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Blessed
Lil_Foster
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Help and questions about wild mouse please!  Empty Help and questions about wild mouse please!

Post by Lil_Foster Fri 01 Dec 2017, 11:47 am

Hi,
I caught this little cutie Heart Eyes and I don't know what to do from here so I joined a mouse loving forum to get some answers to questions I have. I have him in a box with some house food in there and water for him. I originally planned to release him somewhere cozy but it's -2 to 7 degrees celcius outdoors and sometimes raining. Any ideas where/how to release him so he has a chance to survive? Also can anyone recognize what type of mouse he is (you can compare his size with the popcorn and he is caught in Romania)? I'm also a lil worried he might be carrying some type of virus or disease, that's why keeping him doesn't sound like an option. His name is Foster btw. Razz

ps: He seems to have a tail injury. Does it look serious?

Help and questions about wild mouse please!  Foster10
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Help and questions about wild mouse please!  Empty Re: Help and questions about wild mouse please!

Post by Blessed Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:01 pm

Hey there, @Lil_Foster! Welcome to PMF!
That is one adorable mouse. Love He looks really alert, like he should be.
Wild mice do try to find shelter in houses/barns, etc. in the winter (not that most people want the mice in their homes running loose, lol), but if you just set him free in a field, he should find a cozy spot by himself. Or, if you really don't feel comfortable setting him free in that temperature, keep him for a little while in a ten-gallon tank, preferably, if you have one, and then wait for a warmer day. But really, it should be okay. He is wild, after all.
Where did you catch him at, if you don't mind me asking?
Anyways, from the looks of him, he looks like just a normal field mouse (I also call them house mice when you find them in your house, haha! Laughing )
I one time caught a wild mouse, too, who looked very similar to yours, only I think it was a girl. I put her in with my big fancy male temporarily before setting her free less than a month later.
But he shouldn't have a disease. I don't think nowadays in many parts of the world do most wild mice carry diseases.

And referring to his tail, I think I see what you're talking about--in the second picture--, but I doubt it's serious or anything you could do for that.

Oh, by the way, has he eaten anything yet?

Love,
Blessed

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Help and questions about wild mouse please!  Empty Re: Help and questions about wild mouse please!

Post by Lil_Foster Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:16 pm

I'm visiting Romania and I caught him/her in my fiance's Grandmas home. Is it male or female?
By field mouse do you mean the Deer Mouse?

I'm not sure if he ate anything yet. I put in fries and popcorn but I don't know how much or if he ate any at all; although I think I caught him sipping water. I also had peanut butter but read somewhere that they can suffocate in it? So I removed it before he had any of it.
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:21 pm

A few considerations about releasing Foster into the great outdoors:
(1)  -2ºC to +7ºC is too cold for a mouse, unless he is returned to an area he is familiar with and can go straight to his burrow.
(2)  It is too late in the year for him to be able to stock a new burrow for the winter.  He'd have a hard time establishing a new territory and finding enough appropriate food on the ground to get him through the cold of winter, especially since it is too cold for him to be out running about anyway.

I might be able to help you with some simple steps for making little Foster's temporary visit with you comfortable but not too expensive.

Housing:  Do not keep him in a cardboard container.  He can chew through and escape in practically no time.

Food/water:  Boil some water and cool it (to remove any chemicals), and provide that nice fresh water for him to drink.  (You can make yourself a lovely cup of tea at the same time.)  He does not need a water bottle (but if you have one, clean it and see if he will use it) -- a jar cap or bottle cap may work as a water bowl, or a small saucer (harder to tip and spill).  Raw rolled oats (or other grains) or low-sugar cereal or some whole grain bread might keep him happily fed.  Alternately, you can make him some porridge or moisten dry cereal with water, and see if that keeps him hydrated enough, without having to keep a separate water bowl.  Mice also seem to like bananas and salad greens.  Just trying to think of some things you might have handy.

Nesting:  The little fellow would also probably like something cozy to hide and sleep in, within the larger container you are using for his house.  A plastic cup (I used empty yogurt cups) or a small plain cardboard box should do the trick.  And tear up some paper towel into smaller pieces for him to fill his nest with.

SAFETY:  Since you are worried about contamination, wear gloves when handling Foster or anything you bring out of his temporary home.  Whatever you use for cleaning his supplies, make sure it is rinsed off well before you put it back in his house -- don't want him to get sick from licking soap residue.  

I have never released a visiting mouse to the wild, so I will leave further advice on that matter for forum members who are more knowledgeable.  Meanwhile, if you do not feel you can give Foster a home for the winter, start looking for another living situation he can move to.

Oh -- and as for his tail, it does not look to be swollen, so if you do not see any open wound, oozing, or discoloration, and if you do not detect a smell of infection, then it's probably nothing terrible. Watch for changes, though.

Best of luck to both of you.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:37 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your help and suggestions. They are deffinitely helpful. Do you guys think he might transmit airborne diseases like Hantavirus?
Also, he does have an odd and powerful smell. I noticed this since he was running around the house but I'm not sure if it's him or his poopoo/pee.

Is fries and popcorn ok food for now?
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:49 pm

Um, not sure... I'm not familiar with the names of all those wild-type mice, nor to which mouse belongs to which name. But I feel like it's not the Deer Mouse.
So, the brown (or possibly known as agouti) colored mice likes yours is what I call a field mouse, even if that's not the actual name, if that makes sense? Smile
And, if you have any raw oats or sunflower seeds, you should offer him those. Mice love that stuff! Although my mice do like popcorn and fries, but that's only an occasional snack they get. =)

I do not know if your mouse is a male or not; that's something you'd have to check/show us a picture of his underside, which I don't recommend at this point, since he's wild and could escape if you try handling him. Plus, that'd really scare him. But if you happen to catch a glimpse of his underside for whatever reason, go to the Genetics & Reproductive Care thing on here on the home page, click on it, then click on the Sexing Mice sticky on the top, and scroll down a little, and you'll see the difference between bucks and does. Sorry I'm not putting a link; I'm not 100% sure how to do that yet, but hopefully someone else could.
One last thing: Here's a picture of my wild female, Naomi I had for a bit.
Help and questions about wild mouse please!  12_22_16
Help and questions about wild mouse please!  12_22_17
And then here's a picture of my late male, Danny, with Naomi, to show you the size comparison of the wild mice and the fancy mice:
Help and questions about wild mouse please!  12_22_18
I think a few members on here actually currently own a wild mouse. =)

Oh, by the way, since while I was writing this, you and somebody else posted again, then let me say this in response to your post: Male mice, in my experience, do have a pretty bad smell, and it may only get worse the older he gets, as I'd imagine he's fairly young right now. And as for the virus, I don't know. I really don't. I'd hope he doesn't have anything to give you, though.
And I'd suggest buying some mouse food from the store if you're going to keep him for even a few days. But, that's just my friendly suggestion.
And I got bit by Naomi, and I'm still alive after almost a year, lol... She like, latched onto my finger/hand when I was putting her back in the cage, and oddly enough, it didn't even make me bleed! Smile But still, be careful, as you don't personally want to be bitten, I'm sure.
And what MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop suggested you put in a cage if you keep him temporarily, I agree with that stuff. And maybe you could even get him an exercise wheel?
And if he doesn't seem happy if you end up keeping him for a bit, when you feel comfortable enough with letting him go, I suggest doing that. Naomi wasn't too happy being in a tank when I caught her in early December last year, but I ended up setting her free later that month on a warmer day (to this day, I slightly regret it for personal reasons, and I do wonder what became of her....).
But I also don't know the normal cold temps for Romania.

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Fri 01 Dec 2017, 2:13 pm

I do feel like he bit me. I was in bed watching a movie and suddenly feel something like a drop or snap on my shoulder. This was before we caught him as he had been running around for about 1 week. It was a sudden shock like pain and my whole arm felt the shock. I'm not sure if I saw him on me or not I was panicked and don't remember, I just jumped out of bed. But when I looked in the mirror, no scars or redness. So im not sure if that was him or not.
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Fri 01 Dec 2017, 2:57 pm

I personally wouldn't think it was him who bit you. Mice, unlike you may've heard growing up (like my older siblings would I think sometimes joke saying this), don't go around coming up to a person and then biting them. That's also weird if he had been crawling on you... being wild and all.
He probably doesn't, as I don't believe it's real common for rodents to get rabies, but I'd be more concerned with him having rabies than anything. I'm not trying to scare you, don't get me wrong.

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 01 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

Welcome! Foster is a cutie! I have a wild mouse that I opted to keep because he has a bum foot that slowed him down a little... and I had already rescued him from my cat once! Gotta look into wild mice in Romania now. Smile

We battled wild mice for a few months before they finally moved out... one night my husband found one on our blanket and, while trying to shake it off, the mouse leaped on to his shirt. My husband -- traumatized. But it was a pretty brave mousey move, my husband is pretty big! Compared to me and a mouse, at least. Giggle

Merci and Blessed covered everything well, I believe. If you intend to keep him for a bit, try to get some wild bird seed and offer some good proteins, like mealworms or a high quality dog kibble. Our usual food recommendations won't suffice for wild mice. Popcorn and french fries won't be something to thrive on long-term, either. Razz
My wildie drinks out of a bottle and runs on a wheel. He also tunnels so well in his giant tank that I can go weeks without seeing him! I'll only catch a glimpse of his tail once in a while. Makes things exciting.

Generally, diseases aren't something you have to fret over. It's good to keep them in mind and you should always practice good hygiene, but they're not as common as they're made out to be. I know the anxiety though! Handle as little as possible with gloves and do your best to keep his environment clean.

Read over this thread for some tips on when/where/how to release. I would wait until spring if you can, -2 C is pretty cold!!!
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Sun 03 Dec 2017, 7:38 am

Update!

Hey guys so today I found an abandoned building and am planning to release Foster as soon as dusk hits. There's a broken window that I will put him through but otherwise it's locked but does have holes he can come out from. It is pretty much across the street and I know this means he may return but it seems like a good place and I'm sure he can survive the winter here. I plan to leave him with the bag of sunflower seeds I bought for him. What do you think of his new home? Kiss

https://2img.net/h/oi63.tinypic.com/rsbk1t.jpg
https://2img.net/h/oi68.tinypic.com/dljq5z.jpg
https://2img.net/h/oi68.tinypic.com/241trw8.jpg
https://2img.net/h/oi66.tinypic.com/b4yfrp.jpg
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

Hey, Lil_Foster! Um, an old abandoned building? Lol. Well, at least it's abandoned. That might possibly be okay then...?
But yeah, if cats don't hang around there, he should survive the winter there. Smile
Aw, I'm sure he'll appreciate that: Getting yummy food and his freedom back...along with a huge space possibly all to himself (who knows, there might be other mice in there). Yellow heart

P.S. The pictures weren't showing up for me, so I can't see what the place looks like. =P

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:54 pm

Unfortunately this didn't end up being Foster's new home. And this whole situatuon has got me in tears. I took him there and as I was about to release him I heard a stray cat meowing from inside the building. So I didn't put him there. It's a pretty old countryside so there's a lot of stray cats and dogs everywhere. We obviously couldn't keep him because ill be living the country soon with my fiance and.. not everyone feels the same about mice I guess and wouldnt be font to care for him after my leave. In the end we walked close to the forest. There was a well and a closed off place where people would start fires and cook and a small one room building near by, but it was locked. The closed off place was like an igloo made with bricks. And had a metal cover for the door. We put him here and all of his food and left the door just 1 inch open. I can't begin to express our regret. We miss the little guy so much. I am costal in tears and worried he won't survive. We even thought to go back and get him but I know that's not possible... I can't stand the thought im spending the night in a warm room while my lil Foster is out there. Sad I feel like a terrible human being and so depressed. I'm here just praying he will return to me as it wasn't 1 mile away Sad
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sun 03 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

You did much more than most people would have done for little Foster. Some times there just isn't anything left to try. Let us all hope he will be all right this winter.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

I feel so heartbroken. .. I let people push me to make a mistake and now I'm haunted. I'm crying nonstop. Not sure how ir goes from here. ... be honest with me.. does my baby have a chance to survive this winter?
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Foster Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:57 pm

These guys here thought it was a joke and told me to have the cat at him... and I felt pressured to move fast
Lil_Foster
Lil_Foster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum