Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I saw a little rodent!

+3
Soren
EverythingAnimal
MouseLover
7 posters

Go down

I saw a little rodent! Empty I saw a little rodent!

Post by MouseLover Mon 06 Jun 2016, 10:02 am

I saw a little rodent in my back garden. It was about the size of a mouse and sat there eating weeds Smile I wasn't sure what it was... Very like a mouse but it's ears were too small and it looked kinda tubby like a hamster.

So I've been reading about rodent species in the UK and I believe I have identified the little visitor as a bank vole! These are native to europe and some of asia, and apparently got accidentally introduced to the UK, where they are now common in the south and south west Smile

I couldn't get a picture, but found this one on the internet that I thought I'd share with you guys. I've never seen one of these little fellas before, how exciting. I do love nature Very Happy

I saw a little rodent! 1341756964_Bank-vole-11

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

I saw a little rodent! Empty Re: I saw a little rodent!

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 06 Jun 2016, 10:24 am

Aww, I love voles! Even if the ones that live around me just tear up the yard with their little tunnels. One time, my previous dog (Tartan, a Scottie) found a baby one, and well... being a scottie... she ate it whole. It was so sad! Luckily after that we kept her away from their burrow. On a better note, what a lovely one you have there! Looks very different than the voles we see in the U.S.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

Voles... i have never heard of them. Perhaps we don't have them in the US, but they sure are cute! They look like a hamster/mouse hybrid!
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm

We have voles here in the US. My husband just saw one the other day and up until then, I had never heard about them either!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 06 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm

Soren wrote:Voles... i have never heard of them. Perhaps we don't have them in the US, but they sure are cute! They look like a hamster/mouse hybrid!

We do have meadow moles at least in the part I'm from. They are common, but I've noticed over the years that not many people know of them, maybe because they are always underground. Same with shrews. Most of them live in the northern U.S. though. Moles are more widly known, but I've seen a lot more voles and shrews than I have moles.
Mouselover, do you get shrews and moles where your from? Look, now you've gotten me so curious about these little fellas! Laughing

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 06 Jun 2016, 4:42 pm

EverythingAnimal - there are plenty of moles around here. I mean I've never seen one... but there are tonnes of molehills Laughing And yes we have shrews too, although I have only ever seen dead ones Sad

It was so cool, the vole was just sat there for ages munching on weeds Very Happy He really did look like a mouse hamster hybrid! I was so confused by what he was, so I had to research haha.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:38 pm

I love voles so much they just look like they wanna be hugged Laughing
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:22 am

Yay! I love voles! For a while I was in awe of your being able to photo one till I read the text!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 08 Jun 2016, 11:23 pm

I saw a vole in my garden last year! They've all mysteriously vanished though. Weird.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down