Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice?

4 posters

Go down

Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice? Empty Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice?

Post by KaylaLovesMice Mon 04 Jun 2018, 1:19 pm

So, I'm getting two mice for the FIRST time EVER. I'm very exited but I want to make sure a 10 gallon tank is large enough for my future mice Kiss .
Thankyou,
Kayla Rainbow Angel
KaylaLovesMice
KaylaLovesMice

Back to top Go down

Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice? Empty Re: Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice?

Post by CallaLily Mon 04 Jun 2018, 5:01 pm

A 10 gallon tank is the bare minimum for 3 girls. (I say girls because in most circumstances males should be housed alone). It would be fine to start them out in until you’re sure they’re healthy and you get them tamed up some. But most mice would appreciate more space.

Also thought I’d mention groups of females tend to work out better with 3 or more. It balances things out more so you don’t end up with one very dominant mouse constantly picking on the other. Plus if one were to suddenly pass away you aren’t left with one very lonely girl.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice? Empty Re: Is a 10 gallon tank enough room for two female mice?

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Jun 2018, 8:28 pm

Ditto to everything CallaLily said Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydream Tue 05 Jun 2018, 7:06 am

I have a 10 gallon tank too, in which I house 3 female mice-- I also have a 16-gallon bin that I put them in 1-2 supervised hours every day with lots of toys for them as a little mouse playground. Smile So a 10-gallon tank is fine for now, but if possible you could try doing what I do so that the mice can have some extra play and space to run around in sometimes.
(I don't use it as my permanent mouse home because I lack the tools to modify it properly, and I can't just leave it open unsupervised 'cause they could jump out or my cats will get to them)

Orbit, Flopsy & Mopsy the guinea pigs
Neo & Pring the king quails
and their quail chicks Bit, Byte, & Megabyte
Daydream
Daydream
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by KaylaLovesMice Tue 05 Jun 2018, 9:01 am

Daydream wrote:I have a 10 gallon tank too, in which I house 3 female mice-- I also have a 16-gallon bin that I put them in 1-2 supervised hours every day with lots of toys for them as a little mouse playground. Smile So a 10-gallon tank is fine for now, but if possible you could try doing what I do so that the mice can have some extra play and space to run around in sometimes.
(I don't use it as my permanent mouse home because I lack the tools to modify it properly, and I can't just leave it open unsupervised 'cause they could jump out or my cats will get to them)

Would using a play pen work instead of buying another cage? I already have one from my old hamster.
KaylaLovesMice
KaylaLovesMice

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydream Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:21 am

KaylaLovesMice wrote:
Daydream wrote:I have a 10 gallon tank too, in which I house 3 female mice-- I also have a 16-gallon bin that I put them in 1-2 supervised hours every day with lots of toys for them as a little mouse playground. Smile So a 10-gallon tank is fine for now, but if possible you could try doing what I do so that the mice can have some extra play and space to run around in sometimes.

Would using a play pen work instead of buying another cage? I already have one from my old hamster.

Yes, as long as they won't squeeze out! And remember to keep an eye on them as they play.

Orbit, Flopsy & Mopsy the guinea pigs
Neo & Pring the king quails
and their quail chicks Bit, Byte, & Megabyte
Daydream
Daydream
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum