Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough?

4 posters

Go down

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough? Empty Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough?

Post by Janezo Sun 29 Sep 2019, 2:18 am

Hello! I’m a very new member and new to the mouse world. We’re looking to get two female mice so I’ve been reading a lot here about what makes for a good cage in terms of size, toys, ventilation, hygiene, etc. i came across a really nice looking cage:

https://www.omlet.us/shop/hamsters-and-gerbils/qute-hamster-cage/

With toys, hiding places, and a snug space for a nest, would this be good for two females? Is the “floor” of the upper level OK for mouse feet? What diameter of climbing tube is too wide for a female mouse?

Thanks so much for the help.

Janezo

Back to top Go down

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough? Empty Re: Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough?

Post by Javascript.exe Sun 29 Sep 2019, 9:12 pm

From what I’ve seen, the floor space appears to be about 275” or 699 cm, meaning that’s it’s just over a 10 gallon tank. It’s barely above minimum really. The floor shouldn’t cause any issues, but if it is wire it probably can’t be covered with any bedding which is a bit of a bummer. I would personally consider it too small and very overpriced. Depending on where you are, a 20 gallon aquarium tank is less expensive. PETCO has some amazing sales on tanks, right now the 20-29 gallons (that’s what I first saw) are being sold by 1$ per gallon, which I’ve heard goes up to 30. Even the large tanks are on sale! Tanks can also be customized, I personally prefer the look of a terrarium to the cage in question. It’s also a much better deal if you can get a tank, considering the size and security. Smile
Javascript.exe
Javascript.exe

Leo Artistic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ku5kEmlpykXzOl8Oh4NLg

Back to top Go down

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough? Empty Re: Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough?

Post by Robin~ Mon 30 Sep 2019, 9:31 pm

I agree, that cage looks vastly overpriced. I made a bin cage that has 600sq in of floorspace for a third of that cost. And, as mentioned above, even if you went for a similar floorspace, a ten gallon tank and a mesh lid when off sale are like $25 total.

By the way, I would actually consider getting three girls instead of two. That way when one passes the other isn’t left by herself while she waits for her new friend to go through quarantine (which should last a month or two). Smile That, or just go with a single boy! http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t23-let-s-hear-it-for-the-boys

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough? Empty Nice, but better cages

Post by BrendoniUrie Wed 02 Oct 2019, 1:31 pm

It is very nice but there are definitely better cages available. Petco has very nice aquarium sales, and you can get 3 girls into a 20 gallon. I find that there is plenty to do in a 20 gallon with wire mesh. I can give you ideas if you would like, but I'm just always finding new ways to use the space. The floor plan of that cage looks like it might be pretty limited, but ultimately the choice is up to you. I do have to say though that like $70 of toys is a lot. The mice will prefer a range of new set ups to explore and a rotation of toys. It's also way more fun for the humans to set up and figure out the best use of space.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Janezo Wed 02 Oct 2019, 11:01 pm

BrendoniUrie wrote:It is very nice but there are definitely better cages available. Petco has very nice aquarium sales, and you can get 3 girls into a 20 gallon. I find that there is plenty to do in a 20 gallon with wire mesh.

To clean an aquarium, do you dump out the bedding and then put the tank in the bathtub to wash it out?

Janezo

Back to top Go down

Post by Javascript.exe Thu 03 Oct 2019, 10:56 am

To clean an aquarium, do you dump out the bedding and then put the tank in the bathtub to wash it out?[/quote]

You can. Personally I scoop/dump the used bedding into a garbage bag and hose it out. I would also leave some water+diluted cleaner every two weeks or so. You can also use non toxic glass cleaner to clean the sides for better viewing as long as you wipe it up completely. Smile Make sure you dry it out completely before putting any new bedding in and you should be all set. Very Happy
Javascript.exe
Javascript.exe

Leo Artistic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ku5kEmlpykXzOl8Oh4NLg

Back to top Go down

Nice looking cage but is it safe and big enough? Empty Cleaning

Post by BrendoniUrie Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:21 pm

What I do for my 20 gallon is to just remove their toys and nest (I clean the nest out less frequently, they fill it themselves with cardboard, paper towels, tissues thread from rope toys, etc, its technically a small bird house) and if the toys need it, I wash them with 50/50 vinegar and water, then rinse with water. I use an old toothbrush to scrub. Many times I won't wash some toys to give them a bit of their scent. There will be some dust on the bottom from whatever they get up to/ bedding/ seed shells/ etc, so I have a small dust pan to use in there. If it is really necessary I use the water vinegar mix again with paper towels to wipe everything down. If you are super concerned about smell, just make sure to stick to your cleaning schedule. Girls aren't as smelly and you can add a few drops of pure vanilla essence to their water to lessen the smell of pee. I stopped doing that because the smell wasn't actually that bad unless you let it get that bad.

My tip to you for toys as well is to get creative with toys from other animal sections as well. The small animal section really isn't that great in the US, I don't know where you are though. My mice have bird toys, dog toys, random cardboard pieces, etc. Also using twine or wire to secure things to the mesh is fun. I usually hang ladders from the top, parallel to the mesh and some way for them to climb up there. They always spark when they get a new cage setup.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:52 pm

I don’t have a tank specifically, but what I do for my bin is just remove the bedding and wipe it down with an unscented baby wipe. I don’t think fully hosing it down would be necessary as most of the urine should be on the toys/bedding.

@BrendoniUrie I don’t think adding vanilla to the water would be wise as that may cause your mice to stop drinking the water. Just sticking to a cleaning schedule is really all you can safely do.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down