Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food

3 posters

Go down

Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food Empty Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food

Post by littlebee84 Wed 30 Oct 2019, 3:50 pm

Is there any reason mice cannot have small amounts of the following;
Kelp
Cayenne
Cinnamon
Ginger
Anise
Cumin
Parsley
Basil
Thyme
Rosemary
Oregano
Paprika
Black pepper
Mango
Pineapple
Pecans
Almonds
Lentils
Red beans
Black beans
Dried peppers

For salmon and tuna are brands like Chicken of the Sea okay?

Can I give baby food like purees and cereal? Is ascorbic acid in some baby food safe?

Also can they eat dried shrimp and silk worms?

littlebee84

Back to top Go down

Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food Empty Re: Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food

Post by Robin~ Wed 30 Oct 2019, 4:23 pm

For the majority of these spices/aromatics, it has a lot to do with the pungent smell and the chemicals that cause them. Capsaicin (found in peppers and some spices; it’s what makes stuff spicy), for example, is toxic to mice.

Parsley is actually safe to feed, as well as almonds, pecans, basil, mango, pineapple, and lentils (despite popular belief, the amount of lectins in lentils is not enough to cause any harm).

Kidney (red) beans are unsafe for mice the same reason they’re unsafe for humans— phytohemagglutinin does damage to blood cells. These can be cooked out, however. I’m unsure about raw black beans but I’d cook them to be safe.

I’m completely unsure about kelp, but I’d avoid it to be safe.

Canned foods are not recommended they are often high in salt/sugar, which acts as a preservative. Fresh is always best Smile

Baby foods/cereals are fine as long as they’re sugar-free and all the ingredients are safe. Absorbic acid is just another name for Vitamin C Smile

Dried shrimp and silkworms made for reptile consumption are ok, but keep in mind silkworms are pretty big for mice.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food Empty Re: Mouse safe ingredients for homemade food

Post by ControlCoreAngel Wed 30 Oct 2019, 5:50 pm

spices and anything with strong aromas/flavors should always be avoided. mice cannot eat spicy, or anything power-like such as ground spices. its like when humans do things like the cinnamon challenge, but worse, because they're smaller.

all of what you listed has strong flavors, minus some, or a certain chemical that is toxic even for humans to consume (in high doses). take almonds, for example, they have cyanide in them! in low quantities, were fine. but mice, again, are very itty bitty, so a dose that might not kill us, might kill them.
ive however found almond isnt actually too bad for them, but they should be avoided for safety, generally. even if it takes a toooon of almonds to actually kill someone, yknow.

my homemade mixes will usually include (and these are to my mices tastes- mice are very picky eaters a lot!):
- sunflower seeds (raw, these are my mices FAVORITES. theyll go ham for sunflower seeds)
- pumpkin seeds (raw)
- peanuts (raw)
- yogurt drops (made specifically for small mammals, youll find these a lot! my mice arent big fans of the berry flavors and prefer the cheese flavor, but this is to a mouses preferrence)
- fresh fruits and berries (my mice, again, arent fans of fruit and berry flavors, so they will usually kick these out)
- cereals (just dont give them a lot, if it has sugar! cereal is a treat for my gals, and mayos favorite is chex)
- peanut butter (again, a treat! this is every mouses favorite food ever. dont give too much or very often though, bc of sugars and other ingredients)
- cheese (also a treat! mice dont actually like cheese as much as cartoons make it out to be. but they do like it! i give mine my favorite, the shredded mexican blend you can get in bags)

other tips
- NEVER buy sugarfree. a lot of the sugar replacements we use can be toxic to animals! (and even to us...)
- always get fresh! mice prefer fresh to not
- learn what your mice like! yes, mice will always prefer sugar to anything else, and mice with an option will vouch to not eat their hay pellets, cause theyre JERKS. but, if you do give them options, pay attention to what they like, and what they dont eat/kick out.

as for silkworms and shrimp, mice again are very picky eaters given the choice. these may be things your mice might not like at all! but, i say test the waters, and see if they do!

angel / mouse owner for 6+ years / they

current babies: pantalaimon / french fry

rip: svanhild / juniper / lumi / winter / echo / hiroko / fat baby / flick / fox / mayonnaise / macaroni / pipin / poppy / skittle
ControlCoreAngel
ControlCoreAngel
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Angelic

https://fandomstuckportal.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by littlebee84 Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:32 am

Thanks. I guess my question is in the recommended charlee boy treats have cinnamon in them. So is cinnamon safe or not?

littlebee84

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum