Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housing an aggressive mouse.

2 posters

Go down

Housing an aggressive mouse. Empty Housing an aggressive mouse.

Post by kilroy227 Mon 11 Nov 2019, 12:41 pm

I had 2 females about a year old and one recently died. I read you shouldn't house females alone so I got two more. The first pair never used to fight but when I try to introduce the new ones to the surviving older one she attacks them. (New ones are also female). I tried putting them in a cage that has been cleaned of scent and has multiple food and water sources but the older one just seeks out the younger ones and attacks them. When I separate them she starts beating her tail on the ground and sides of the cage. I currently have the older one housed alone. I don't want to leave her alone but I don't know how to get her to not attack the other two. Any suggestions?

PS. I'm aware that mice will show some aggression to establish a pecking order but this seemed more than that to me. Although, I am admittedly inexperienced in caring for mice so it may look worse to me than it is.

kilroy227

Back to top Go down

Housing an aggressive mouse. Empty Re: Housing an aggressive mouse.

Post by Robin~ Mon 11 Nov 2019, 1:19 pm

You might be able to get away with just putting the cages next to each other and letting them out for quick bonding sessions in a playpen to start so they can meet each other in fully neutral territory. Until the solo girl gets paired, though, I would be sure to spend some more time with her so she doesn’t get lonely.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down