Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Melamine safe?

3 posters

Go down

Is Melamine safe? Empty Is Melamine safe?

Post by MrOllie Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:26 pm

Hello! I'm looking into getting mice and I have a question regarding enclosures.
I already have a nice large cage I have used to house other small animals (hamsters) and I'd love to find a new purpose for it, but my question is- is melamine chew-proof? That's the material it's made out of. I read that wood enclosures can be covered with plexiglass and I have no problem doing that, but I don't want to put in that work of it isn't necessary. Does anyone have experience with it?
Thanks!

MrOllie

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is Melamine safe? Empty Re: Is Melamine safe?

Post by MeanMurine Fri 25 Sep 2020, 4:12 pm

This is a question that'll be answered by the mice themselves after they've lived in the enclosure for a while.
In general, rodents will chew at small openings to make them larger and get though, so if there are any holes that's an increased risk. Other places chewing will start up is corners.
They CAN chew through melamine the same way they can chew through plastic bins and cage bottoms. Lots of mice/hamsters live their whole lives in such setups without escaping though, simply because they aren't the type to chew their way out. It takes a lot of motivation, time and depends on the individual. However, if a mousie gets through melamine it might get through plexiglass too. Perhaps tiles are the most durable option, if you do somehow end up with a superchewer.

Jr Member
Jr Member

MrOllie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MrOllie Fri 25 Sep 2020, 4:28 pm

MeanMurine wrote:This is a question that'll be answered by the mice themselves after they've lived in the enclosure for a while.
In general, rodents will chew at small openings to make them larger and get though, so if there are any holes that's an increased risk. Other places chewing will start up is corners.
They CAN chew through melamine the same way they can chew through plastic bins and cage bottoms. Lots of mice/hamsters live their whole lives in such setups without escaping though, simply because they aren't the type to chew their way out. It takes a lot of motivation, time and depends on the individual. However, if a mousie gets through melamine it might get through plexiglass too. Perhaps tiles are the most durable option, if you do somehow end up with a superchewer.
Thank you. So, I should be okay without putting down the plexiglass? (As long as I check for holes somewhat regularly)

MrOllie

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:43 pm

Yep! You should be just fine.
An extra tip:
Just to double up on safety, I always keep my mouse enclosures in mouse-proof rooms where my cats cannot go and my mice cannot escape or find their way into a wall. That way, if a mouse jumps out of my hands and shoots off, finds an escape route or I forget to latch a cage door, it doesn't end in tragedy. That's a good idea anyway, but while waiting to see if your mice can Houdini their way out of a new enclosure, it's doubly wise.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sat 26 Sep 2020, 7:25 am

From my experience I wouldn’t say mice chew more than hamsters, so if your hamsters were fine in there chances are your mice should be too. Smile

Melamine is essentially chew proof if there are no edges to get started on, but it can be chewed on if possible. Again, though, mice really aren’t that chewy from my experience so even if there are a couple edges I doubt you’d have any issues.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MrOllie Sat 26 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm

Thank you!

MrOllie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down