Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many mice should I keep?

3 posters

Go down

How many mice should I keep? Empty How many mice should I keep?

Post by MrOllie Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:56 pm

Hello! I have a rather large cage I plan on using for mice. I still have a lot of research to do but one thing I'm curious about is how many mice should I keep? According to the mouse calculator on this site, I could keep more than a dozen mice but just because you shouldn't doesn't mean you can. My question is really, how many mice could I house as a beginner keeper? My thought was 4-5 but would that amount be hard to care for? I see 3 being recommended most, but I don't know if it's lower because of cage size.
Thanks!

MrOllie

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

How many mice should I keep? Empty Re: How many mice should I keep?

Post by MeanMurine Fri 25 Sep 2020, 10:40 pm

The more mice you have, the more vet bills you're looking at when they are old and their health begins to fail, and the more time needed to bond with each of them individually. You need to know their individual personalities in order to quickly spot any issues indicated by behavioural changes. Apart from those, more mice in one enclosure just affects the amount of hides, toys, bowls etc and doesn't really have any impact on care apart from cleaning (in my experience).
It's up to you to find the balance between your schedule and financials and the amount of little gremlins you'll welcome into your home. Mice with lots of friends feel more secure and will be more willing to get to know you. A dozen is definitely a lot to stay on top of though, and the amount of cleaning involved sounds like a nightmare. Anywhere between 3-6 seems like a good number of girls to start off with.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Wed 21 Oct 2020, 8:13 am

Yeah, most beginners start with 2-3 but I think that is just due to lack of space. Many first-time owners aren't willing to buy the supplies necessary to take care of lots and lots of mice. However, since you seem to have the space, maybe 12 would be too many, but you could certainly start with 5 or 6.

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down