Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many mice?

3 posters

Go down

How many mice? Empty How many mice?

Post by Hayley Tue 03 Nov 2020, 3:01 am

Hello! I m planning on getting my first pet mice soon. I have a 30 gallon bin cage that I plan on using. Do you have any recommendations on how many (female) mice I should get?

Hayley

Back to top Go down

How many mice? Empty Re: How many mice?

Post by Clementine Tue 03 Nov 2020, 6:18 am

Does your bin cage have similar dimensions to a 30 long or a 30 high?  According to this site's cage calculator, a 30 H could keep 5 mice, while a 30 L can hold up to 9 mice. As for how many mice you should get, it kinda depends. If you want a big group that socializes and becomes super close with each other, you should go for something like 5-9 mice (depending on the size of your cage). But if you'd rather have a few really tame females who you can get to know individually, and whom you spend lots of one-on-one  time with, maybe you should stick with 3 or 4. Someone said something really helpful about choosing between a male mouse or a few females, and I think this applies when choosing between a small group or a large group of females: it depends on whether you want the mice to bond with each other, or bond with you. I don't know about an exact number that is better than any other amount, though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Undecided Undecided

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 04 Nov 2020, 5:56 am

I personally don’t agree with the cage calculator on here—unless you’re looking for a group of mice that are literally running over each other just from walking around, 9 mice in a 450sq in cage is simply not suitable. From my experience, I’ve found about 100-200sq in per doe is pretty good, so you could probably get away with ~2-4 does in a cage that size. That size not only allows for space in case things get a little rough during bonding, but it also provides plenty of space for enrichment. Especially if we’re talking wheels, 2-3 wheels in a 350-450sq in cage already takes up a lot of space; the 4-5 you may need for a group of nine would be nearly impossible to fit without making the cage all wheels.

Last edited by Robin~ on Wed 04 Nov 2020, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Wed 04 Nov 2020, 6:12 am

Don't listen to me, sorry! Paper Bag

Scorpio Sluggish