Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would a mouse willingly jump off a table?

+2
SarahAdams
CuriousWhiskers
6 posters

Go down

Would a mouse willingly jump off a table? Empty Would a mouse willingly jump off a table?

Post by CuriousWhiskers Sun 29 Nov 2020, 4:43 pm

So, if I had mice in the "Prevue Pet Products 528 Universal Small Animal Home", than there is a slight chance that they might be able to escape. If I had the cage on a 30" tall table, would they just stay on the table if they escaped, or would they try and jump off?
CuriousWhiskers
CuriousWhiskers
Jr Member
Jr Member

Curious

River and SarahAdams like this post

Back to top Go down

Would a mouse willingly jump off a table? Empty Re: Would a mouse willingly jump off a table?

Post by SarahAdams Sun 29 Nov 2020, 4:50 pm

I had the same question here when I got my mice in August. I was told it was very unlikely. I do see that mice are afraid of heights and would not willingly jump from a height of any kind. They might try to find a way down, but if there is none they will stay on a table.

I have a new playground for mine, which is on a tabletop. While all of them go to the edge of the table and look down to check for escape routes, none has attempted any kind of jump. Mine even get anxiety over a drop of around 5".

I put that under-carpet gripping pad material under the playpen, just to make sure they won't slip and fall off the table by accident.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

River and CuriousWhiskers like this post

Back to top Go down

Would a mouse willingly jump off a table? Empty Re: Would a mouse willingly jump off a table?

Post by River Sun 29 Nov 2020, 4:59 pm

I agree, it's highly unlikely. Not impossible, but most mice are smart enough not to take the chance. That said I doubt an adult mouse would be able to escape from that cage. I've been thinking of getting it myself and in person, the bars are smaller than the 3/8" they list on the site. My current cage does have 3/8" spaces and I have not had a mouse escape yet, though a smaller one certainly could. I'd just look for any unusual gapping and remedy it before putting them in.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

CuriousWhiskers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sun 29 Nov 2020, 6:44 pm

I would say it's probably unlikely that they'll jump off, but definitely not impossible. I would suggest mouseproofing the room they're in if at all possible, just in case. (Weather stripping or something similar to block off the crack under the door, for example.)

Do note that they are VERY good climbers, so make sure there's nothing they can grip unto to climb down the table rather than jump.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 29 Nov 2020, 9:52 pm

I agree it’d be unlikely they would jump, but make sure there’s no curtains or power cords or anything they can climb. We had wild mice that were getting onto the counter by climbing the power cords to a toaster. Crazy! lol

If you’re interested in other cages, I’ve bought both of these and still use (and love!) the Mickey. Bar spacing is 1/4” on both.
Ferplast Favola Cage

Savic Mickey 2xl
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

River, disastervibe and CuriousWhiskers like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Mon 30 Nov 2020, 7:54 am

I would say it's not very likely, but it can happen. My girls haven't tried jumping from anything relatively tall to them. My hamster however...
If it's possible, maybe put the cage inside of a playpen area? Like have a playpen (or another secured area) on top of the table and then put the cage inside of it, so that if they do manage to get out they can't jump or slip as easily. Also, if you think it is very likely they'll escape, maybe putting a little bit of food and water outside the cage on the table so that if one does escape, it has those necessities. I was also worried my girls would escape from their cage when I first got them. I kept an eye on them for a few days, and once I was convinced they were okay, I felt better about the spacing of the bars.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down