Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to help with itching.

2 posters

Go down

How to help with itching. Empty How to help with itching.

Post by Snoot3 Sat 05 Dec 2020, 8:59 pm

I took my mouse to the vet today because he has been scratching his ears and body and shaking his head. The vet said he has no respiratory problems and his ears look fine, no mites, he is very healthy and may just be having an allergy. I feel bad for him though. Is there anything i can do to make him stop itching? I have benadryl cream and raw oatmeal. Would any of that help? I also have non scented lotion.
Snoot3
Snoot3

Back to top Go down

How to help with itching. Empty Re: How to help with itching.

Post by River Sat 05 Dec 2020, 9:37 pm

Did the vet do a skin scrape? It could be very hard to see mites otherwise. I always treat mites with diluted Ivermectin at home but not everyone is comfortable with that.

I did give my mouse small doses of children's Benadryl. I was advised by our vet to put it into applesauce. She loved it! It seems I forgot to write the dose down anywhere but you can just call your vet about that, I'm sure they'll know. It was a rather small amount. Our Graham was also given a corticosteroid injection by her vet as one of our last resort options. I doubt that'll be needed, though.

Did these problems start when the scented Kaytee bedding was added, or did he show any signs before that? If it seems to be related it should calm down after he's been properly away from it for a while. If not, then you'll have to start ruling out other things. I'd work hard at distracting him in the meantime, though. Scratching can be a nasty habit so pack the cage with toys and deep bedding. Foraging toys will be especially useful.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoot3 Sat 05 Dec 2020, 9:49 pm

I am not sure what she did. They made me sit in my car because of covid. She just told me he had no parasites. I am pretty sure this started with the kaytee bedding but at the same time i might have just been observing it more because i was worried about the lavender. I think he will be fine in a couple of days but i feel so bad for him. Thanks for the advice

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 05 Dec 2020, 9:55 pm

Ah, I forgot that's how appointments were. If she was confident I'm sure she checked, though some people do treat for prevention. I don't, but maybe someone who does can explain how they do it.

It's very possible he's just reacting to whatever they put in that bedding. ):
Poor thing! I would see about giving him some benadryl if you can get the dose off your vet but I do hope he'll be just fine once it's all groomed off his fur.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum