Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamster Haven Metro

+3
Dee67
chiroptera
SazumeSO
7 posters

Go down

Hamster Haven Metro Empty Hamster Haven Metro

Post by SazumeSO Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:38 pm

I'm about to get back into owning pet mice. I actually stopped, because I had rescued several with health issues that cut their lives too short. I broke my heart and after owning mice for 5 years and loving them since a child I took a step back to let my heart heal.

I'm ready to have them in my life again and my children are of an age now that I feel comfortable with the being more directly evolved.

We decided that we would get a group of females for my daughter's 9th birthday if she proved she could be responsible.  Honestly, I wanted them anyway do its not entirely dependent on that, but she's held up her end of the bargain.  

I started researching mice with the kids about 3 months ago to prepare them. We've talked about handling and life spans.

Anywho, I'm still deciding on bedding, but we'll be using carefresh for now, and I just picked up this hampster haven metro. It is missing a few thing, and we've been crafting and storing, and gathering mouse appropriate things the whole Hamster Haven Metro 20201214
Hamster Haven Metro 20201215
Hamster Haven Metro 20201213
time so I have boxes more of things I can add, but does it look like I've utilized the space enough for the 3 girls well be getting next month?

SazumeSO

Peachy, CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Hamster Haven Metro Empty Additional photos

Post by SazumeSO Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:40 pm

There are two wheels. One is a 6-7 inch saucer under the pink platform and the other is about 8-9 inches between the two platforms. Hamster Haven Metro 20201217
Hamster Haven Metro 20201216

SazumeSO

Peachy and CuriousWhiskers like this post

Back to top Go down

Hamster Haven Metro Empty Re: Hamster Haven Metro

Post by chiroptera Mon 21 Dec 2020, 11:48 pm

It looks really good, I love the little house you (or your kiddos) made! Super cute. Smile

I think it utilizes the space really well, and if you have other stuff you can always swap things out to give them new things to do and explore.

I would double check the bar spacing, to make sure it's around 1/4" or less, just to make sure they can't squeeze through (especially if you get younger/smaller girls).

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

M O U S E and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 12:49 am

Wow, really nice busy home for the upcoming girls.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Tue 22 Dec 2020, 7:54 am

It looks wonderful! I love love love how you packed the space. Your girls will surely like it.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the crocheted bridge and hammock. It's good to have those things, but I was told that mice can get their nails stuck in materials like that, which is annoying for them, or get their legs stuck in the holes and potentially get injured. Felt is the most recommended fabric for rodents, however if your girls aren't big fabric chewers, you can use old shirts, pillowcases, etc.

I would love to live there if I was a mouse, lol. Laughing

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

SarahAdams and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 22 Dec 2020, 8:54 am

Welcome! Wave I love your cage! It looks similar to mine and I love mine too. lol

It looks like you’ve provided plenty of enrichment high and low. Fleece yarn would be great alternative to acrylic/cotton yarn, which can pose dangers to nails if snagged and be dangerous to chew. Fleece and felt are considered safe because they won’t turn into a bunch of little strings when chewed up. I buy cheap fleece blankets and make my own fleece yarn, but I know craft stores sell it too. Braided fleece make great ropes for climbing too. If you’ve never made fleece yarn before, this is the tutorial I learned from:
https://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/make-fleece-yarn

And this is a mushroom house I made out of fleece. My ladies loved it!
Hamster Haven Metro Ac8c3910
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

SarahAdams, CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SazumeSO Tue 22 Dec 2020, 4:56 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know about the yarn. I knew cotton nesting fiber was a no no, but I didn't think about the crochet yarn. I was planning on making a fleece rope, I'll change out the other yarn.

The girls will be about 2 months old when I get them. How long does it take them to reach full size?
I'm getting a single male that will be housed in a bin cage separately, but I can make another one for the girls if they can squeeze through.

As a side note, I have no intentions of breeding them and expect they are siblings since they'll be from the same breeder and have similar coloring. I just know boys don't find home easily, and have really enjoyed them in the pasts.

SazumeSO

CuriousWhiskers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nestmouse222 Sat 26 Dec 2020, 12:44 pm

Looks like a really nice home for the mice! 🙂

Nestmouse222

Back to top Go down

Post by muisjes Sat 26 Dec 2020, 10:09 pm

Do they have room to run on a flat surface?

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down