Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding depth?

3 posters

Go down

Bedding depth? Empty Bedding depth?

Post by CuriousWhiskers Tue 12 Jan 2021, 6:31 pm

I was wondering what depth of bedding mice need? And is it different with different types of bedding(aspen or paper based)?

Jr Member
Jr Member

Curious

Back to top Go down

Bedding depth? Empty Re: Bedding depth?

Post by Oreoandfriends Tue 12 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm

I’m my experience, my mice have never been huge on burrowing. They definitely don’t require as much bedding as a hamster or gerbil, but it’s still good to provide as much as you can (and deep bedding is also great for their temperature regulation). I’d personally say 4 inches minimum, but if your mice enjoy digging then add more. A lot of times more bedding means sacrificing vertical space, and many mice prefer climbing rather than digging so that’s important to consider too!
As for bedding type, I use a mix of dust extracted aspen and paper bedding and I’ve used them separately in the past too. I haven’t seen a huge difference in burrowing ability between them so the same minimums should be fine, adding safe hay in layers in the bedding can also help with supporting burrows!

Edit: dig boxes are also a great option. If you use a dig box you could get away with only a few inches of bedding lining the bottom of the cage, but 6+ inches in the box. Most mice would be happy to have that extra space in the cage for climbing but also an option to dig deep down and burrow when they’d like! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

SarahAdams, CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 12 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

^ Seconded. I'd definitely try to offer deeper bedding and see if they like it, but if they don't, adjust.

Some mice love to burrow, some won't do it at all. Mine won't unless I put tubes and houses under the bedding for him to get started with...lazy boy.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down