Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bioactive?

4 posters

Go down

Bioactive?  Empty Bioactive?

Post by Rextherat Sun 17 Jan 2021, 8:19 pm

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have a bioactive mouse enclosure and if not what kind of bedding would be best for digging?

Rextherat

Back to top Go down

Bioactive?  Empty Re: Bioactive?

Post by chiroptera Mon 18 Jan 2021, 10:40 pm

I do think it's possible but I think it would be pretty difficult. I know @Mahjling (who hasn't been active much unfortunately) uses eco-earth for their mice, though I'm not sure if their tank is actually bioactive or simply naturalistic.

The issues that come to mind regarding a mouse enclosure being bioactive are:

-humidity (humidity for most plants and clean-up crew invertebrates would be too high for mice with sensitive respiratory systems and the dampness of the substrate might make the mice uncomfortable)
-ventilation (as above, ventilation suitable for mice is often not suitable for keeping the humidity needed for live plants)
-eating clean-up crew (not necessarily the worst thing in the world, but it's very likely that mice will eat the isopods if isopods were added to the tank)
-digging/uprooting/eating the plants (as above, not necessarily completely awful, but would make things challenging for sure)
-nesting (not really a huge deal if additional paper or timothy hay was added as nesting material)

Like I said though, it definitely isn't impossible to do it safely, I just feel like it would be a lot more work and stress than what it's worth, and I don't think it would be as easy and convenient as bio-active is for non-mammals. What I think I'd recommend if you want to give a more natural experience is to separate the enclosure, and allow for a digging area with naturalistic substrate and enrichment. Or, you could create a digging garden for them outside of their enclosure that they could go to for playtime out of their cage.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Peachy, River, Dee67 and Rextherat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 19 Jan 2021, 12:28 am

Though I don’t have much additional information to offer, there’s an amazing Bioactive FB group if you have Facebook. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

River and Rextherat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 19 Jan 2021, 1:00 am

I second everything said above. It seems like hamster owners do this slightly more often if you'd like to look that up, but even then it's rare. If you can figure out how to do it successfully, that'd be cool and I'd love to follow along. Smile

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Dee67 and Rextherat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sat 23 Jan 2021, 12:34 am

@Peachy I'm curious about the bioactive group you're familiar with on FB - I'm a member of one but if there are others I'd love to check them out.

(I am... a bit disgruntled by the management of the big one I'm already in haha, not enough to leave but definitely enough to want a group that might provide second opinions.)

Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 23 Jan 2021, 12:47 am

I left a lot of my FB groups so I'm only currently in one, but I don’t follow it so I don't know how good this one actually is. Razz It's "Bioactive and Naturalistic Mammal Setups." Would definitely be interested in your thoughts!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sat 23 Jan 2021, 1:13 am

The one I'm in is for reptiles / amphibians so I'll definitely have to check this one out!

chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Peachy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down