Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male?

4 posters

Go down

Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male? Empty Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male?

Post by rachaelsoren Mon 01 Feb 2021, 4:01 pm

Hello!
I was just looking at my local pet rescue website and noticed they had a super cute little male available. I have a 10 gallon tank and tank topper right now that has just been sitting empty for a while and in really good shape. I immediately started doing research and have seen a lot of people on here say that a 10 gallon by itself would be suitable for a single male. But then I started watching some youtube videos and one girl was saying she doesn’t recommend that size, but didn’t mention a topper with it. Just wondering what any of you recommend or if there has been updates to tank size requirements?

Picture of the tank and topper with a few items:
https://imgur.com/a/tTxaHUy

I set it up just with what I already have, but need to go to the local pet shop to get more hanging toys, hides, and boredom breakers. Let me know if you have any suggestions regarding what I should get/what’s worked for you. I think I will line the wire mesh that he would walk on with some cardboard and just switch that out when it gets too messy. I have two 6.5 inch wheels, one wire mesh and the other is plastic. Which material do you recommend and do you think the size is suitable or do you recommend bigger? Will he need a sand bath like hamsters and gerbils?

Pictures of the little cutie:
https://imgur.com/a/RENKwKK

Thanks in advance! Smile
-Rachael

Last edited by rachaelsoren on Mon 01 Feb 2021, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

rachaelsoren

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male? Empty Re: Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male?

Post by Peachy Mon 01 Feb 2021, 4:34 pm

Hello. Try your picture again. Hopefully it’s fixed!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

River and rachaelsoren like this post

Back to top Go down

Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male? Empty Re: Is a 10 gallon with a topper big enough for male?

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 01 Feb 2021, 6:46 pm

Because the "official" guidelines are so iffy right now, it's basically up to how you feel about it. Personally with a lot of toys I feel that a 10 gallon with a tank topper is perfect, and am looking into getting a topper for my boy but as of right now can't find one I like available.

While I was searching around for them I hear a few things on every brand about a mouse occasionally being able to squeeze out of the top or the corners, so I'd be careful about that and maybe pre-emptively put some mesh there if you're concerned about that.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 01 Feb 2021, 7:09 pm

He's soo cute! His paws are massive, it reminds me of a baby rat Love
 I like the amount of bedding you have, and that log! I've been meaning to get that. Let me know if he likes it. I'd stuff some more toys in there, I loved the ability to use hanging toys in my topper.

I used to use 10g and a topper! I used it for a few mice but my current boy didn't enjoy it that much, so we had to upgrade. He's a bit of a diva. Loves the topper, though! It's fun, improves ventilation and lets them climb. He would climb the ramp upside down. Laughing 

They're individual, so pay attention to their behavior (it's the subtle things!) and you can see if it's working out for him or not. 

My current boy is also a bit...chunky, and his tail is super long. The 6.5" silent spinner didn't work for him. Another thing that depends a bit on the mouse, haha. Weird how much they vary! This guy looks like he'll be a bit bigger as well but you'll have to see.

They don't need sand to bathe in, no.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down