Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aspen smells... citrus-y?

Go down

Aspen smells... citrus-y?  Empty Aspen smells... citrus-y?

Post by chiroptera Fri 16 Apr 2021, 8:52 am

I don't generally like to use aspen, but recently I was in between paper shredders so started using it, and decided I didn't hate it as much as I thought I did. So, now that I have a new paper shredder, I figured I'd try and go half and half with the aspen, since it's a lot less effort than shredding the entire bedding. 

Well, I opened the new bag of aspen, dumped it into the freshly cleaned enclosure and... this batch smelled different. Still woody, but stronger and kind of, well, not quite like citrus, but that's the best way I can describe it. I double checked the packaging and it definitely says it's 100% aspen shavings, but I'm worried it's somehow a mistake and is actually cedar or pine. 

I've decided to go ahead and use it for now but I'll be monitoring the mice to make sure no one is acting strangely. Though since Nellie and Frankie are both over two now it's going to be hard to tell if it's because of the bedding. 

My question here is for people who use aspen frequently - is this normal? Do certain brands or batches of aspen just have different smells? Or should I be more concerned? 

Regardless, I think I'm going to go back to shredding my own bedding after this bag's done, but I'm curious how worried I should be or if I'm just biased due to never really liking aspen to begin with.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down