Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheerios might not be so safe

5 posters

Go down

Cheerios might not be so safe Empty Cheerios might not be so safe

Post by peas Mon 18 Jul 2016, 11:35 pm

I have recently cut down on the amount of cheerios i give my mice.  Instead of giving them 7 per day, i have cut down to 2 or 3 once or twice a week.  

Here is why:

Acrylamide.   Acrylamide is a substance produced in certain foods when heated that is shown to cause cancer in rats. Acrylamide is listed as a major concern by the world health organisation.  And Acrylamide is present in cheerios at a moderate high level:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/chemicalcontaminants/ucm053549.htm

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/ChemicalContaminants/ucm053569.htm#1

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Cheerios might not be so safe Empty Re: Cheerios might not be so safe

Post by CallaLily Tue 09 Aug 2016, 8:55 am

So weird that I never noticed this post until now.  Huh.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that more. I personally never gave Cheerios daily and never in the amount suggested was ok. Seemed like a bit much to me.

Off topic: Any way we can get a "read unread posts" button, instead of just the "view posts since last visit."  I really, really miss that option.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 09 Aug 2016, 12:20 pm

I tried to find a button or something like that when we first moved over here. The staff on the help forum have said it's not possible. I know there's "Today's Active Topics" but maybe there's a way to do a recent topics list that doesn't scroll. Scratch I don't have time to look into it now, but I can.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 10 Aug 2016, 9:23 am

Ah ok. Thanks for looking into it! I'll just remember to also pay attention to the Latest Topics feed.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 10 Aug 2016, 2:17 pm

I miss that button too... just like I missed this post as well!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sat 14 Jan 2017, 2:10 pm

I know this post is pretty old, but I just have to say this... If this chemical is in cereal, does that mean that humans that consume a large amount of cereal are more prone to getting cancer? I've never heard about this before. :|
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

Basically yes, if you consume too much acrylmide your chances of cancer are likely to increase.

The government of Canada recommends no more than 160 units (i think it's ppm) of Acylmide per day.

For example, a typical cup of coffee has about 8. Cheerios i believe, one serving, has about 30. Peanuts have 30 per serving, a bag of potato chips has about 1000. Needless to say, i do not eat potato chips anymore.

It would depend on the cereal, how it's made and what is made of. Some cereals may have very little (but have other stuff) and other cereals may have a higher amount of acrylimde but be good for you compared to something more sugary with little acrylmide.

Basically you just want to keep your consumption in moderation. Eating a ton of cereal is not a good idea for all sorts of reasons, not just this! haha

As for mice, mice are more sensitive to stuff than humans. So i limit cheerios to hardly any, because who knows with mice?

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down