Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on pet store mice?

+8
Rodents rock!
Ealexander
CallaLily
AnonONIagent
CinnamonPearl
AnonymousMouseOwner
River
MooMouse
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thoughts on pet store mice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on pet store mice?

Post by MooMouse Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:38 am

I have a PetCo and PetSmart near me. The pet smart houses small animals from a local rescue organization but there are no mice being housed, currently. PetCo is where I saw the adorable little black and white male. I have not been able to find any breeders in my area, so pet store might have to be the way to go.

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander Tue 23 Aug 2016, 10:22 am

I use the Kaytee Clean 'n Cozy paper bedding but I'd guess mice smell differently based on genetics. My first mouse was definitely more pungent than the next two! I've noticed their smell changes based on their food, too, so maybe experiment with different food options for the little guy if he's currently stinky.
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 23 Aug 2016, 10:50 am

I know that everyone's experience is different but the mice I got at PetSmart were a lot healthier than the ones at Petco. They are housed differently (2 or 3 to a small tank at PetSmart vs however many are delivered that week in one tank at Petco) and even look better (shinier coats, brighter eyes). None of the mice I'd gotten from Petco lived more than a year but all 5 girls from PetSmart lived at least 18 months and Cordelia is still going strong at 26 months!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 23 Aug 2016, 11:46 am

Definitely, Petsmart houses them better (plus they don't sell live mice as food). Fewer to a tank and almost always a proper wheel. Petco's tanks are bigger but usually more crowded and most seem to use way too small a wheel. But my experience with Petco mice lifespans has been a little better (15-21 months).  Though Seren (8 months) was my only Petsmart mouse so that's not really much of a comparison.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Tue 23 Aug 2016, 1:59 pm

I've only had two mice from Petco, Lucy and Selina. Lucy died within a week of me getting her, but I think she was a runt and that was likely more or less why she passed. Selina I've only had for about a month and half to two months, but she seems very healthy and she also definitely has the most personality of any of my mice. Like your black and white boy, they were off in their own cages, separate from the rest of the mice, and were up for "adoption" rather than for sale.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:35 pm

Also, don't forget to check with local shelters - mice and other little pocket pets do end up there needing new homes, and they tend to be there quite a while before adoption.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 24 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

I got Maier from a Petco. She was about 4 weeks when I got her, and honestly, that Petco keeps their mice better than the Petsmarts I've seen. Big enough cage (20 gallon), and a big enough wheel. They used Carefresh bedding as well! I guess it depends on location?
Graham was a from a Pet supermarket. I absolutely despise that store. Worst pet store I've ever seen, and I think that's why I got Graham - I felt horrible for her.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Thu 25 Aug 2016, 8:19 am

All of my rodents have come from PetSmart. My gerbil is now 2 and 1/2 years old. Olimar's six months. My other gerbil lived to be almost 2. And my Mom's hamster was 1 and 1/2. She has another hamster now who is nearly one.
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 25 Aug 2016, 9:08 am

Most of my rodents over the years have been rescues, but also over the years I have purchased 3 rodents from PETsMART. First was a gerbil, Buddy, and he lived longer then the average lifespan of gerbils and was healthy his whole life. Second was a Chinese hamster, Sweet Pea, and he also lived longer then the average lifespan of Chinese hamsters and was healthy his whole life. And now I currently have my mouse, Mickey, from PETsMART, and so far he has been very healthy.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2