Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarah nibbles

+2
CallaLily
AnonONIagent
6 posters

Go down

Sarah nibbles Empty Sarah nibbles

Post by AnonONIagent Thu 08 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

Sarah's really coming out of her shell for me lately! Lately when I take her out onto my bed for playtime, instead of hiding under my hand or in my armpit or where ever, she actively explores the bed, as well as me. However, she also seems to enjoy exploring things with her teeth, including me. Right now it's little nibbles and it doesn't hurt (I actually find it cute in a funny way), but I'm wondering if I should discourage the behavior anyways in case it becomes full-on nipping. Thoughts?

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Sarah nibbles Empty Re: Sarah nibbles

Post by CallaLily Thu 08 Sep 2016, 3:21 pm

I always read over on TFM that it should be discouraged, otherwise it could become more serious bites. I've seen it said that blowing on them when they do it is a recommended way of getting them to stop but I haven't used that method before.

When I first got Daryl he would try to nibble my fingers. It only took around two days to get him to knock it off by simply moving my fingers away. Not completely removing my hand but just folding my fingers back every time he tried and then extending them again when he quit. But he was also very eager to spend time with me from day one so I'm not sure it would work for every mouse.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Thu 08 Sep 2016, 3:55 pm

Sally was a full-on nipper when I got her. I basically did the same thing you did with Daryl, with the addition of saying "no" whenever I retracted the finger. It fixed it right up, and nowadays she only bites when she gets overexcited while I'm hand-feeding her and she accidentally thinks my finger is part of her treat.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 08 Sep 2016, 4:01 pm

I would tell him, "No bites!" Forgot to add that. Glad to hear it's worked for you too. I wondered if I just got lucky. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 08 Sep 2016, 4:11 pm

That's all I do for curious little nips, too. If they don't knock it off I do the blowing thing, though. I had one girl who bit me every time I came in the cage, because she was excited and wanted my attention first!! She usually stopped after I picked her up to say hello. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Thu 08 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

An interesting little development for you guys: Sarah's nibbling seems to have started to be replaced by a new behavior... licking, of all things. Seriously. It started last night, with little licks mixed into the nibbling, but I've taken her out to play now after work and now it's slowly becoming less and less nibbling and more and more licking. She licks my hand, she licks my shirt, she even licks my face if I put it up to her. It doesn't seem like she's grooming me, it just seems like she's licking me because she wants to lick me. Weird.

AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Thu 08 Sep 2016, 9:46 pm

Hmmm. Maybe your skin is salty, and she realized she doesn't have to be so violent to give it a taste! Laugh

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 08 Sep 2016, 11:49 pm

Sarah sounds like a sweet girl. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Fri 09 Sep 2016, 1:41 am

With both my mice (and also with all three of my rats) they would kind of put their teeth on my fingers, not quite nibbling but just testing sort of. when I first got them used to being handled, then it always progressed to mixing the nibbling and licking for a bit, then it kind of died off on its own. I just assumed it was their little 'get to know you' thing when they first start to look at you as a part of their little colony. I can see how it could progress to actual nipping though.

Now I do have to be extra careful when I'm waking Agent Bauer up or he'll chomp my fingers out of fear. I'm pretty sure he can't hear the same as he used to since he basically shredded his ears when that was his preferred OCD habit. He always looks extra sorry afterwards and spends time snuggled right under my chin like he wants to make sure he didn't hurt me lol.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 09 Sep 2016, 9:09 pm

DVirginiana wrote:With both my mice (and also with all three of my rats) they would kind of put their teeth on my fingers, not quite nibbling but just testing sort of. when I first got them used to being handled, then it always progressed to mixing the nibbling and licking for a bit, then it kind of died off on its own.  I just assumed it was their little 'get to know you' thing when they first start to look at you as a part of their little colony.  I can see how it could progress to actual nipping though.

Now I do have to be extra careful when I'm waking Agent Bauer up or he'll chomp my fingers out of fear.  I'm pretty sure he can't hear the same as he used to since he basically shredded his ears when that was his preferred OCD habit.  He always looks extra sorry afterwards and spends time snuggled right under my chin like he wants to make sure he didn't hurt me lol.
Awww so sweet  Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down