Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Corn might of Caught something.

4 posters

Go down

Little Corn might of Caught something. Empty Little Corn might of Caught something.

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:02 am

When I first found Corn, I had immediately fell in love with her. I did notice that after I had got her she seems to make a raspy sound every time she breathes, and she sneezes a lot. But she has been going on strong. I don't want to replace her with a better mouse and I have been looking for a vet. Currently 3 vets places are willing to see pocket mice but I cannot choose. So every morning before I head off to school, I open her little hide-out (A camo bandanna that I gave her since my room can get a bit chilly).
She's still alive and is highly active usually after I accidentally wake her up from her nap.

She hasn't been sneezing that often, but she still has the raspy breathing (Sounds like a Squeaky pig to me to be honest.)

What would you guys suggest?

Little Angels- Kitty (Doe), Kara (Doe), Corn (Doe) Angel
Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Little Corn might of Caught something. Empty Re: Little Corn might of Caught something.

Post by Peachy Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:09 am

You're not taking her to a vet because you can't choose between the three of them? Maybe asking about their experiences with treating mice will help you make a decision.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Little Corn might of Caught something. Empty Re: Little Corn might of Caught something.

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:12 am

I know most of the vets at the animal hospital but the vet we go to for our dogs, lizard and ferrets wont take my mice. Dad was suppose to call all three of them to help me find one and he hasn't since I work 4pm-8pm today, I don't think I will be able to call Animal hospital in my city, and I noticed there was a vet 35 years in practice and I am going to contact him sometime through email today to see if he takes pocket mice.

I just need to see how many hours away his clinic is~.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:46 am

UPDATE:
Sorry if double posting isn't allowed.
We found corn a vet and she is going in today but sadly, I wont be able to get her until tomorrow morning. I have enough to pay for the visit and hopefully I will have enough to pay for the medication.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 10 Nov 2016, 11:54 am

That's great! Weird how they would keep her overnight though. She probably just needs some antibiotics, which shouldn't require overnight care.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 12:25 pm

The vet clinic closes at 5 and if she isn't done with a surgery and hasn't looked at Corn until she was done then we have to wait until tomorrow morning. But I work 4pm-8pm so I wont be able to pick her up before 5. My dad might be able to, but other than that if we aren't able to she would have to do a overnight stay. She said it would be $60 but by the looks of it the visit may be $100 or possibly more.

I'm like afraid.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 2:49 pm

Another Update:
Corn is coming home today!, She has a respiratory infection and she will be getting antibiotics for it. I am glad I was able to do this. Sadly my girlfriend is going to have to deal with me bringing corn over to her place since that is where I spend my weekends.

Hopefully the infection doesn't infect Kara, I don't know if my dad included that Corn and Kara met for only a little while.

I am actually glad I took all the precautions and did the research of what the possible issue could be and I ended up being right after getting a vet to check her out! I am excited to see her before I go to work.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 10 Nov 2016, 3:43 pm

What great news! I hope she has a speedy recovery.
What do you mean, about Kara only meeting her briefly? Does Corn have any other cage mates? Is she a female?

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 7:26 pm

They are both females, They were separated due to Kara attacking her the first they met. I got Corn on Sunday. Then when I noticed all the wheezing and sneezing it was suggested to separate them so it doesn't spread further in case it was a respiratory infection, and it was. (literally Corn's scruff was sorta wet and I couldn't tell if it was bleeding or just Kara's Saliva. I still checked though)

Kara did get sneezed on, literally right in her face (She gave that Really face to Corn). But Kara hasn't been sneezed on. I took a lot of precaution when it came to Corn. Mostly because I was scared of loosing her to something that I didn't know.

Which is why I googled it then took her to a vet when I thought it was a Respiratory infection. Again, Turns out it was!. The vet didn't say anything about keeping them separated though. But turns out this was the vet my dad said wouldn't take mice that ended up taking mice. Funny right haha.

Now I want tips so I don't accidentally choke my mouse while giving her the medication she needs. Because that can happen, and I don't want to loose her.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 10 Nov 2016, 7:30 pm

Please remember to quarantine your mice in the future before introducing them to be sure they don't have any illnesses or are pregnant. You should quarantine about 4 weeks just to be sure. This means keeping them in a separate cage/tank where they don't share the same airspace to prevent your mice you had already from getting ill.

Little Corn might of Caught something. Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm

I didn't know what she had when I first got her until after I separated them once again. They've been separated for awhile now. Kara hasn't been showing any signs of an infection... It was only for a brief moment to see if Kara was settled down enough to sniff around and get use to Corn and then I separated them and when I found out from researching that it could of been an infection I kept them separated.

So that's good. I will keep an eye out and a ear out on Kara in case the infection transferred to her. But Thank you.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 10 Nov 2016, 8:26 pm

It's important to quarantine new mice for at least three weeks so that you can observe your new mice BEFORE you introduce them to your current mice and risk exposing them to illnesses. Medicating one mouse is much, much easier than medicating every mouse she came in contact with.

It's also important to quarantine so you can monitor for pregnancy, and quarantine is a great opportunity to help your mouse get comfortable in her new home and with her new owner. Mice that are tame are also more likely to be successfully introduced to each other.

For more information about quarantine, read this page:
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t7-quarantine

And this page has video demonstrations for medicating:
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t25-medicating-a-mouse
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Thu 10 Nov 2016, 9:27 pm

I honestly asked just for a bit of information for medicating, I didn't know that you're suppose to keep them separated for 3 weeks to observe. But at the time, I didn't have two cages and decided to give a whirl to see how my old girl reacts.

It was before I joined the forum, and I looked it up on my own. Thanks for the tips and opinions. But I figured out how to medicate and other options if the glove or scruff method doesn't work. She got her dosage for tonight and will be getting one tomorrow morning then tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 10 Nov 2016, 9:39 pm

It's just information for the future. There's nothing to lose by being open to a little extra info here and there. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Fri 11 Nov 2016, 8:50 am

Thank you.
c:

Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum