Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curious question about deer mouse housing

3 posters

Go down

curious question about deer mouse housing Empty curious question about deer mouse housing

Post by fairyfingers883 Mon 01 Jan 2024, 8:29 pm

Hell, I'm fairy
About 9 months ago I rescued a baby deer mouse out in my yard, I decided I would keep him as a pet rather than set him free because he was so little and kept running toward my cats unknowing he would become lunch and after a lot of google searching I determined he was just too young to survive on his own and my heart couldn't take letting him go knowing he would most likely die.
He soon grew into a young man mouse pretty fast and he brings me so much joy to watch him run around and gobble peanut treats, even though I know keeping deer mice is not recommended it is just what life dealt me... this is my first pet mouse ( I have had hamsters in the past) and I do not know much about their social habits. I umm'd and ahh'd a lot about getting him a companion and then I discovered he was a HE and assumed like hamsters they should be kept alone. but recently I have been wondering if that is not true and maybe he does need a companion?
So I was curious if anyone has had a similar situation housing a male deer mouse.. and are mice meant to be social with a buddy or solo. I read that deer mice cannot cross breed with fancy mice and was curious if anyone has mixed the species in enclosures? and if so do you give him female or male companions or is it just best to let him live his life in solitude with me and my cats as his friends and audience  curious question about deer mouse housing 1f604
Thank you, any info is much appreciated, this is a learning process for me Smile
fairyfingers883
fairyfingers883

animalgirl555 and catnapt like this post

Back to top Go down

curious question about deer mouse housing Empty Re: curious question about deer mouse housing

Post by catnapt Wed 03 Jan 2024, 8:31 pm

I don't know anything about deer mice but there are FB groups that have a lot of info about deer mice
and I think I actually heard of someone who kept deer mice with 'fancy' mice and they did breed... but I could be wrong

If you can afford a neuter and have a vet willing to do it, then you can introduce a male mouse to female mice

keeping intact male mice together apparently doesn't work well, but yes all mice are social so it might be good to investigate your options

I know some folks get african soft furred "mice" or "rats" to keep with intact male fancy mice

and many ppl keep intact males alone but they need a LOT of attention to be happy and have a semi normal life and many ppl believe it is never as good as living with other mice (having attention from a human) they need super enriched habitats too to keep from getting bored

sorry I don't know much more and sorry that this forum has become so inactive

if you do a search thru the threads you may be able to find answers to your questions however

good luck!

catnapt

animalgirl555 and fairyfingers883 like this post

Back to top Go down

curious question about deer mouse housing Empty Re: curious question about deer mouse housing

Post by animalgirl555 Mon 15 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm

catnapt wrote:I don't know anything about deer mice but there are FB groups that have a lot of info about deer mice
and I think I actually heard of someone who kept deer mice with 'fancy' mice and they did breed... but I could be wrong

If you can afford a neuter and have a vet willing to do it, then you can introduce a male mouse to female mice

keeping intact male mice together apparently doesn't work well, but yes all mice are social so it might be good to investigate your options

I know some folks get african soft furred "mice" or "rats" to keep with intact male fancy mice

and many ppl keep intact males alone but they need a LOT of attention to be happy and have a semi normal life and many ppl believe it is never as good as living with other mice (having attention from a human) they need super enriched habitats too to keep from getting bored

sorry I don't know much more and sorry that this forum has become so inactive

if you do a search thru the threads you may be able to find answers to your questions however

good luck!
I agree. I don't know much about deer mice either, but I would say the same thing Smile
Also, the mouse in your profile picture is so cute!
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

fairyfingers883 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyfingers883 Mon 15 Jan 2024, 10:00 pm

okay, Thank you, I will check out facebook and keep exploring!
I appreciate the responses!
fairyfingers883
fairyfingers883

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down